Assistant Professor in Cellular Neuroscience
The Biological Sciences Department in the College of Science at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin in August, 2020. Candidates with specializations in Cellular Neuroscience are especially welcomed to apply.
The successful candidate will have a strong commitment to excellence in research and teaching. They will be expected to develop an extramurally funded research program that involves undergraduate and Master's level students. The area of specialty is open, but candidates who use electrophysiology, optogenetic, chemogenetic, and/or imaging approaches to study the brain are encouraged to apply.
Teaching responsibilities may include cellular and molecular neuroscience, systems neuroscience, cell & molecular biology, and introductory biology. The applicant will be expected to assist in curriculum development, advise students, serve on department, college, and university committees, and engage in professional activities.
At Cal Poly Pomona, we cultivate success through a diverse culture of experiential learning, discovery, and innovation. We demonstrate academic quality, relevance, and excellence through our teaching, learning, scholarship, and creative activities with student-centered faculty in an evidence-based culture. Cal Poly Pomona is committed to being the model for an inclusive polytechnic university that inspires creativity and innovation, embraces local and global challenges, and transforms lives.
- Ph.D. in Cellular Neuroscience or a related field from an accredited university
- A minimum of two years of postdoctoral research experience
- Demonstrated potential to establish an active research program with undergraduate and master’s students
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching, service and a commitment to work in an inclusive environment.
- University teaching experience
- Experience or familiarity with techniques that promote student engagement and success
- Evidence of conducting scholarly research activities with undergraduate and/or graduate students.
A completed application will consist of a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your background and interest in teaching, research and service. In your cover letter, please address the duties, qualifications and preferred qualifications stated in our position description;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy (2-page max); Research Statement (3-page max);
- Student Success Statement (approximately one page, single-spaced) about your teaching, or other experiences, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population -- see http://www.cpp.edu/~faculty-affairs/documents/student_success_statement.pdf
- Reprints of three representative publications;
- The names, titles, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three individuals who can speak to the candidate’s potential for success in this position;
- Please apply at: https://apply.interfolio.com/67315
Semifinalists for the position will be required to provide three letters of reference (PDF format by email preferred) and a job offer is contingent on receiving an official transcript showing highest degree earned.
Instructions for submitting applications are listed at the Faculty Affairs site for University hires: http://www.cpp.edu/~faculty-affairs/open-positions/
The position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received no later than 1st November 2019.
General inquiries regarding the application process should be directed to:
Chairs, Cellular Neuroscience Search Committee
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona Pomona, CA 91768