Neil G Harris
Professor-in-Residence, Neurosurgery, University of California Los Angeles
Department of Neurosurgery
300 Stein Plaza
Los Angles, CA 90095
Professor Harris directs NEIL lab with over 25 years of experience with rodent CNS injury models and in particular using MRI and PET to assess structure and function. He received his B.Sc. in Biology/Neuroscience from University of Portsmouth in 1988, and his Ph.D. in Physiology from King’s College London in 1991. Dr. Harris’s early focus of research addressed the question of optimal timing for intervention after the diagnosis of infantile hydrocephalus. Prior to joining University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), Dr. Harris received training in multimodality imaging techniques, including PET, structural MRI, fMRI, DTI, and Glucose/blood-flow autoradiography at Kings college University of London, University of Florida McKnight Brain Institute, the Royal College of Surgeons unit of Biophysics in the Institute of Child Health, and University of Cambridge Department of Neurosurgery. Subsequently, Dr. Harris conducted studies to address forebrain ischemic stroke looking at the potential use of non-invasive biomarkers to determine salvageable areas of brain. The studies were cited amongst primary reported findings on biophysical mechanism of the change in water diffusion after stroke. Dr. Harris currently resides as Professor in Residence of UCLA Department of Neurosurgery where he primarily conducts investigations on Traumatic Brain Injury and is the scientific director of UCLA 7T animal imaging core.
- LaPlaca MC, Huie JR, Alam HB, Bachstetter AD, Bayir H, Bellgowan PF, Cummings D, Dixon CE, Ferguson AR, Ferland-Beckham C, Floyd CL, Friess SH, Galanopoulou AS, Hall ED, Harris NG, Hawkins BE, Hicks RR, Hulbert LE, Johnson VE, Kabitzke PA, Lafrenaye AD, Lemmon VP, Lifshitz CW, Lifshitz J, Loane DJ, Misquitta L, Nikolian VC, Noble-Haeusslein LJ, Smith DH, Taylor-Burds C, Umoh N, Vovk O, Williams AM, Young M, Zai LJ. Pre-Clinical Common Data Elements for Traumatic Brain Injury Research: Progress and Use Cases.. Journal of neurotrauma, 2021.
- Sta Maria NS, Sargolzaei S, Prins ML, Dennis EL, Asarnow RF, Hovda DA, Harris NG, Giza CC. Bridging the gap: Mechanisms of plasticity and repair after pediatric TBI.. Experimental neurology, 2019.
- Ringler E, Coates M, Cobo-Cuan A, Harris NG, Narins PM. MEMRI for visualizing brain activity after auditory stimulation in frogs.. Behavioral neuroscience, 2019.
- Immonen R, Smith G, Brady RD, Wright D, Johnston L, Harris NG, Manninen E, Salo R, Branch C, Duncan D, Cabeen R, Ndode-Ekane XE, Gomez CS, Casillas-Espinosa PM, Ali I, Shultz SR, Andrade P, Puhakka N, Staba RJ, O'Brien TJ, Toga AW, Pitkänen A, Gröhn O. Harmonization of pipeline for preclinical multicenter MRI biomarker discovery in a rat model of post-traumatic epileptogenesis.. Epilepsy research, 2019.
- Immonen R, Harris NG, Wright D, Johnston L, Manninen E, Smith G, Paydar A, Branch C, Grohn O. Imaging biomarkers of epileptogenecity after traumatic brain injury - Preclinical frontiers.. Neurobiology of disease, 2018.
- Verley DR, Torolira D, Hessell BA, Sutton RL, Harris NG. Cortical Neuromodulation of Remote Regions after Experimental Traumatic Brain Injury Normalizes Forelimb Function but is Temporally Dependent.. Journal of neurotrauma, 2018.
- McDonald WS, Jones EE, Wojciak JM, Drake RR, Sabbadini RA, Harris NG. Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization Mapping of Lysophosphatidic Acid Changes after Traumatic Brain Injury and the Relationship to Cellular Pathology.. The American journal of pathology, 2018.
- Verley DR, Torolira D, Pulido B, Gutman B, Bragin A, Mayer A, Harris NG. Remote Changes in Cortical Excitability after Experimental Traumatic Brain Injury and Functional Reorganization.. Journal of neurotrauma, 2018.
- Sargolzaei S, Cai Y, Wolahan SM, Gaonkar B, Sargolzaei A, Giza CC, Harris NG. A Comparative Study of Automatic Approaches for Preclinical MRI-based Brain Segmentation in the Developing Rat.. Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. Annual International Conference, 2018.
- Sargolzaei S, Cai Y, Walker MJ, Hovda DA, Harris NG, Giza CC. Craniectomy Effects on Resting State Functional Connectivity and Cognitive Performance in Immature Rats.. Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. Annual International Conference, 2018.
- Sargolzaei S, Cai Y, Lee D, Harris NG, Giza CC. Quantification of Biological Responses as Predictors of Cognitive Outcome after Developmental TBI.. ... IEEE-EMBS International Conference on Biomedical and Health Informatics. IEEE-EMBS International Conference on Biomedical and Health Informatics, 2018.
- Choe KY, Sanchez CF, Harris NG, Otis TS, Mathews PJ. Optogenetic fMRI and electrophysiological identification of region-specific connectivity between the cerebellar cortex and forebrain.. NeuroImage, 2018.
- Krishna G, Agrawal R, Zhuang Y, Ying Z, Paydar A, Harris NG, Royes LFF, Gomez-Pinilla F. 7,8-Dihydroxyflavone facilitates the action exercise to restore plasticity and functionality: Implications for early brain trauma recovery.. Biochimica et biophysica acta. Molecular basis of disease, 2017.
- Sta Maria NS, Reger ML, Cai Y, Baquing MAT, Buen F, Ponnaluri A, Hovda DA, Harris NG, Giza CC. D-Cycloserine Restores Experience-Dependent Neuroplasticity after Traumatic Brain Injury in the Developing Rat Brain.. Journal of neurotrauma, 2017.
- Shijo K, Sutton RL, Ghavim SS, Harris NG, Bartnik-Olson BL. Metabolic fate of glucose in rats with traumatic brain injury and pyruvate or glucose treatments: A NMR spectroscopy study.. Neurochemistry international, 2016.
- Molet J, Maras PM, Kinney-Lang E, Harris NG, Rashid F, Ivy AS, Solodkin A, Obenaus A, Baram TZ. MRI uncovers disrupted hippocampal microstructure that underlies memory impairments after early-life adversity.. Hippocampus, 2016.
- Brown RJ, Jun BJ, Cushman JD, Nguyen C, Beighley AH, Blanchard J, Iwamoto K, Schaue D, Harris NG, Jentsch JD, Bluml S, McBride WH. Changes in Imaging and Cognition in Juvenile Rats After Whole-Brain Irradiation.. International journal of radiation oncology, biology, physics, 2016.
- Moro N, Ghavim SS, Harris NG, Hovda DA, Sutton RL. Pyruvate treatment attenuates cerebral metabolic depression and neuronal loss after experimental traumatic brain injury.. Brain research, 2016.
- Harris NG, Verley DR, Gutman BA, Sutton RL. Bi-directional changes in fractional anisotropy after experiment TBI: Disorganization and reorganization?. NeuroImage, 2016.
- Harris NG, Verley DR, Gutman BA, Thompson PM, Yeh HJ, Brown JA. Disconnection and hyper-connectivity underlie reorganization after TBI: A rodent functional connectomic analysis.. Experimental neurology, 2015.
- Shijo K, Ghavim S, Harris NG, Hovda DA, Sutton RL. Glucose administration after traumatic brain injury exerts some benefits and no adverse effects on behavioral and histological outcomes.. Brain research, 2015.
- Thomsen GM, Le Belle JE, Harnisch JA, Mc Donald WS, Hovda DA, Sofroniew MV, Kornblum HI, Harris NG. Traumatic brain injury reveals novel cell lineage relationships within the subventricular zone.. Stem cell research, 2014.
- Bartnik-Olson BL, Harris NG, Shijo K, Sutton RL. Insights into the metabolic response to traumatic brain injury as revealed by (13)C NMR spectroscopy.. Frontiers in neuroenergetics, 2013.
- Moro N, Ghavim S, Harris NG, Hovda DA, Sutton RL. Glucose administration after traumatic brain injury improves cerebral metabolism and reduces secondary neuronal injury.. Brain research, 2013.
- Harris NG, Nogueira MS, Verley DR, Sutton RL. Chondroitinase enhances cortical map plasticity and increases functionally active sprouting axons after brain injury.. Journal of neurotrauma, 2013.
- Harris NG, Chen SF, Pickard JD. Cortical reorganization after experimental traumatic brain injury: a functional autoradiography study.. Journal of neurotrauma, 2013.
- Harris NG, Mironova YA, Chen SF, Richards HK, Pickard JD. Preventing flow-metabolism uncoupling acutely reduces axonal injury after traumatic brain injury.. Journal of neurotrauma, 2012.
- Deng-Bryant Y, Prins ML, Hovda DA, Harris NG. Ketogenic diet prevents alterations in brain metabolism in young but not adult rats after traumatic brain injury.. Journal of neurotrauma, 2011.
- Harris NG, Mironova YA, Hovda DA, Sutton RL. Chondroitinase ABC enhances pericontusion axonal sprouting but does not confer robust improvements in behavioral recovery.. Journal of neurotrauma, 2010.
- Harris NG, Mironova YA, Hovda DA, Sutton RL. Pericontusion axon sprouting is spatially and temporally consistent with a growth-permissive environment after traumatic brain injury.. Journal of neuropathology and experimental neurology, 2010.
- Harris NG, Carmichael ST, Hovda DA, Sutton RL. Traumatic brain injury results in disparate regions of chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan expression that are temporally limited.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2009.
- Giza CC, Kolb B, Harris NG, Asarnow RF, Prins ML. Hitting a moving target: Basic mechanisms of recovery from acquired developmental brain injury.. Developmental neurorehabilitation, 2009.
- Ben Simon GJ, Hovda DA, Harris NG, Gomez-Pinilla F, Goldberg RA. Traumatic brain injury induced neuroprotection of retinal ganglion cells to optic nerve crush.. Journal of neurotrauma, 2006.
- Bartnik BL, Sutton RL, Fukushima M, Harris NG, Hovda DA, Lee SM. Upregulation of pentose phosphate pathway and preservation of tricarboxylic acid cycle flux after experimental brain injury.. Journal of neurotrauma, 2005.
- Johnström P, Fryer TD, Richards HK, Harris NG, Barret O, Clark JC, Pickard JD, Davenport AP. Positron emission tomography using 18F-labelled endothelin-1 reveals prevention of binding to cardiac receptors owing to tissue-specific clearance by ET B receptors in vivo.. British journal of pharmacology, 2005.
- Chen SF, Richards HK, Smielewski P, Johnström P, Salvador R, Pickard JD, Harris NG. Relationship between flow-metabolism uncoupling and evolving axonal injury after experimental traumatic brain injury.. Journal of cerebral blood flow and metabolism : official journal of the International Society of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, 2004.
- Owler BK, Pena A, Momjian S, Czosnyka Z, Czosnyka M, Harris NG, Smielewski P, Fryer T, Donvan T, Carpenter A, Pickard JD. Changes in cerebral blood flow during cerebrospinal fluid pressure manipulation in patients with normal pressure hydrocephalus: a methodological study.. Journal of cerebral blood flow and metabolism : official journal of the International Society of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, 2004.
- Owler BK, Momjian S, Czosnyka Z, Czosnyka M, Péna A, Harris NG, Smielewski P, Fryer T, Donovan T, Coles J, Carpenter A, Pickard JD. Normal pressure hydrocephalus and cerebral blood flow: a PET study of baseline values.. Journal of cerebral blood flow and metabolism : official journal of the International Society of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, 2004.
- Lythgoe MF, Sibson NR, Harris NG. Neuroimaging of animal models of brain disease.. British medical bulletin, 2003.
- Johnström P, Harris NG, Fryer TD, Barret O, Clark JC, Pickard JD, Davenport AP. (18)F-Endothelin-1, a positron emission tomography (PET) radioligand for the endothelin receptor system: radiosynthesis and in vivo imaging using microPET.. Clinical science (London, England : 1979), 2002.
- Harris NG, Gauden V, Fraser PA, Williams SR, Parker GJ. MRI measurement of blood-brain barrier permeability following spontaneous reperfusion in the starch microsphere model of ischemia.. Magnetic resonance imaging, 2002.