Professor, Neurology, University of California Los Angeles
Professor, Physiology, University of California Los Angeles
635 Charles Young Dr S
Los Angeles, CA 90095
635 Charles Young Dr S
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Synaptic Signaling in Health and Disease Our research focuses on 1) the physiology, pharmacology, and pathology of synaptic transmission in the mammalian brain, and 2) the regulation of intracellular calcium homeostasis. The two themes ultimately converge in our quest for understanding how long-term alterations in the excitability of nerve cells and circuits are responsible for offsetting the frail balance between excitation and inhibition. Tipping this balance, either acutely of chronically, results in the nervous system showing signs of abnormal activity leading to specific brain disorders. We study synaptic transmission and the activation of extrasynaptic receptors in the healthy and the diseased brain. We presently carry out research in animal models of epilepsy, Huntington’s disease, stress, alcoholism, PMS/PMDD, postpartum depression, while also recording from human brain tissue surgically removed for the treatment of epilepsies. By studying the fundamental mechanisms responsible for the altered synapses and circuits our studies will lead to novel therapies for a number of devastating neurological and psychiatric disorders. The experimental approaches we use include patch-clamp recordings (whole-cell, single channel and perforated patch) in brain slices, in acutely isolated animal and human neurons, or in cultured neurons/slices; chronic recordings in vivo to monitor long-term changes in the excitability of circuits; infrared and fluorescent video microscopy and simultaneous recordings in live brain tissue; various neuroanatomical and immunohistochemical techniques; measurement of intraneuronal calcium and the binding kinetics of calcium to various calcium-binding proteins; molecular biological approaches aimed at reducing or altering specific brain proteins as in genetic knockouts/knockins and various methods aimed at altering cellular protein levels.
- Vrontou S, Bédécarrats A, Wei X, Ayodeji M, Brassai A, Molnár L, Mody I. Altered brain rhythms and behaviour in the accelerated ovarian failure mouse model of human menopause.. Brain communications, 2022.
- Allison T, Langerman J, Sabri S, Otero-Garcia M, Lund A, Huang J, Wei X, Samarasinghe RA, Polioudakis D, Mody I, Cobos I, Novitch BG, Geschwind DH, Plath K, Lowry WE. Defining the nature of human pluripotent stem cell-derived interneurons via single-cell analysis.. Stem cell reports, 2021.
- Samarasinghe RA, Miranda OA, Buth JE, Mitchell S, Ferando I, Watanabe M, Allison TF, Kurdian A, Fotion NN, Gandal MJ, Golshani P, Plath K, Lowry WE, Parent JM, Mody I, Novitch BG. Identification of neural oscillations and epileptiform changes in human brain organoids.. Nature neuroscience, 2021.
- Alich TC, Pabst M, Pothmann L, Szalontai B, Faas GC, Mody I. A dark quencher genetically encodable voltage indicator (dqGEVI) exhibits high fidelity and speed.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2021.
- Houser CR, Peng Z, Wei X, Huang CS, Mody I. Mossy Cells in the Dorsal and Ventral Dentate Gyrus Differ in Their Patterns of Axonal Projections.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2020.
- Mody I. GABAAR Modulator for Postpartum Depression.. Cell, 2019.
- Wei X, Nishi T, Kondou S, Kimura H, Mody I. Preferential enhancement of GluN2B-containing native NMDA receptors by the endogenous modulator 24S-hydroxycholesterol in hippocampal neurons.. Neuropharmacology, 2018.
- Chen L, Saito T, Saido TC, Mody I. Novel Quantitative Analyses of Spontaneous Synaptic Events in Cortical Pyramidal Cells Reveal Subtle Parvalbumin-Expressing Interneuron Dysfunction in a Knock-In Mouse Model of Alzheimer's Disease.. eNeuro, 2018.
- Octeau JC, Faas G, Mody I, Khakh BS. Making, Testing, and Using Potassium Ion Selective Microelectrodes in Tissue Slices of Adult Brain.. Journal of visualized experiments : JoVE, 2018.
- Lee CYD, Daggett A, Gu X, Jiang LL, Langfelder P, Li X, Wang N, Zhao Y, Park CS, Cooper Y, Ferando I, Mody I, Coppola G, Xu H, Yang XW. Elevated TREM2 Gene Dosage Reprograms Microglia Responsivity and Ameliorates Pathological Phenotypes in Alzheimer's Disease Models.. Neuron, 2018.
- Chen X, Wang Y, Xu F, Wei X, Zhang J, Wang C, Wei H, Xu S, Yan P, Zhou W, Mody I, Xu X, Wang Q. The Rapid Effect of Bisphenol-A on Long-Term Potentiation in Hippocampus Involves Estrogen Receptors and ERK Activation.. Neural plasticity, 2017.
- Ferando I, Faas GC, Mody I. Diminished KCC2 confounds synapse specificity of LTP during senescence.. Nature neuroscience, 2016.
- Pabst M, Braganza O, Dannenberg H, Hu W, Pothmann L, Rosen J, Mody I, van Loo K, Deisseroth K, Becker AJ, Schoch S, Beck H. Astrocyte Intermediaries of Septal Cholinergic Modulation in the Hippocampus.. Neuron, 2016.
- Maguire J, Mody I. Behavioral Deficits in Juveniles Mediated by Maternal Stress Hormones in Mice.. Neural plasticity, 2015.
- Jones RT, Barth AM, Ormiston LD, Mody I. Evolution of temporal and spectral dynamics of pathologic high-frequency oscillations (pHFOs) during epileptogenesis.. Epilepsia, 2015.
- Lillis KP, Dulla C, Maheshwari A, Coulter D, Mody I, Heinemann U, Armbruster M, Žiburkus J. WONOEP appraisal: molecular and cellular imaging in epilepsy.. Epilepsia, 2015.
- Gu X, Cantle JP, Greiner ER, Lee CY, Barth AM, Gao F, Park CS, Zhang Z, Sandoval-Miller S, Zhang RL, Diamond M, Mody I, Coppola G, Yang XW. N17 Modifies mutant Huntingtin nuclear pathogenesis and severity of disease in HD BAC transgenic mice.. Neuron, 2015.
- McBain CJ, Kittler J, Luscher B, Mody I, Orser BA. GABAergic signaling in health and disease.. Neuropharmacology, 2014.
- Ferando I, Mody I. In vitro gamma oscillations following partial and complete ablation of δ subunit-containing GABAA receptors from parvalbumin interneurons.. Neuropharmacology, 2014.
- Barth AM, Ferando I, Mody I. Ovarian cycle-linked plasticity of δ-GABAA receptor subunits in hippocampal interneurons affects γ oscillations in vivo.. Frontiers in cellular neuroscience, 2014.
- Faas GC, Mody I. Collecting data to determine the Ca²⁺-binding properties of DM-nitrophen and proteins.. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2014.
- Faas GC, Mody I. Measuring the Ca²⁺-binding kinetics of proteins.. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2014.
- Faas GC, Mody I. Measuring the rate constants of Ca²⁺ indicators.. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2014.
- Faas GC, Mody I. Measuring the steady-state properties of Ca²⁺ indicators with a set of calibrated [Ca²⁺] solutions.. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2014.
- Xu S, Guan Q, Wang C, Wei X, Chen X, Zheng B, An P, Zhang J, Chang L, Zhou W, Mody I, Wang Q. Rosiglitazone prevents the memory deficits induced by amyloid-beta oligomers via inhibition of inflammatory responses.. Neuroscience letters, 2014.
- Tong X, Ao Y, Faas GC, Nwaobi SE, Xu J, Haustein MD, Anderson MA, Mody I, Olsen ML, Sofroniew MV, Khakh BS. Astrocyte Kir4.1 ion channel deficits contribute to neuronal dysfunction in Huntington's disease model mice.. Nature neuroscience, 2014.
- Jones RT, Faas GC, Mody I. Intracellular bicarbonate regulates action potential generation via KCNQ channel modulation.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2014.
- Wawra M, Fidzinski P, Heinemann U, Mody I, Behr J. 5-HT4-receptors modulate induction of long-term depression but not potentiation at hippocampal output synapses in acute rat brain slices.. PloS one, 2014.
- Ferando I, Mody I. Interneuronal GABAA receptors inside and outside of synapses.. Current opinion in neurobiology, 2013.
- Barth AM, Mody I. Novel test of motor and other dysfunctions in mouse neurological disease models.. Journal of neuroscience methods, 2013.
- Ferando I, Mody I. Altered gamma oscillations during pregnancy through loss of δ subunit-containing GABA(A) receptors on parvalbumin interneurons.. Frontiers in neural circuits, 2013.
- Engel J, Pitkänen A, Loeb JA, Dudek FE, Bertram EH, Cole AJ, Moshé SL, Wiebe S, Jensen FE, Mody I, Nehlig A, Vezzani A. Epilepsy biomarkers.. Epilepsia, 2013.
- Pitkänen A, Nehlig A, Brooks-Kayal AR, Dudek FE, Friedman D, Galanopoulou AS, Jensen FE, Kaminski RM, Kapur J, Klitgaard H, Löscher W, Mody I, Schmidt D. Issues related to development of antiepileptogenic therapies.. Epilepsia, 2013.
- Engel J, Thompson PM, Stern JM, Staba RJ, Bragin A, Mody I. Connectomics and epilepsy.. Current opinion in neurology, 2013.
- Ferando I, Mody I. GABAA receptor modulation by neurosteroids in models of temporal lobe epilepsies.. Epilepsia, 2012.
- Kobow K, Auvin S, Jensen F, Löscher W, Mody I, Potschka H, Prince D, Sierra A, Simonato M, Pitkänen A, Nehlig A, Rho JM. Finding a better drug for epilepsy: antiepileptogenesis targets.. Epilepsia, 2012.
- Verret L, Mann EO, Hang GB, Barth AM, Cobos I, Ho K, Devidze N, Masliah E, Kreitzer AC, Mody I, Mucke L, Palop JJ. Inhibitory interneuron deficit links altered network activity and cognitive dysfunction in Alzheimer model.. Cell, 2012.
- Mody I, Maguire J. The reciprocal regulation of stress hormones and GABA(A) receptors.. Frontiers in cellular neuroscience, 2012.
- Brickley SG, Mody I. Extrasynaptic GABA(A) receptors: their function in the CNS and implications for disease.. Neuron, 2012.
- Faas GC, Mody I. Measuring the kinetics of calcium binding proteins with flash photolysis.. Biochimica et biophysica acta, 2011.
- Tao J, Wu H, Lin Q, Wei W, Lu XH, Cantle JP, Ao Y, Olsen RW, Yang XW, Mody I, Sofroniew MV, Sun YE. Deletion of astroglial Dicer causes non-cell-autonomous neuronal dysfunction and degeneration.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2011.
- Gehman LT, Stoilov P, Maguire J, Damianov A, Lin CH, Shiue L, Ares M, Mody I, Black DL. The splicing regulator Rbfox1 (A2BP1) controls neuronal excitation in the mammalian brain.. Nature genetics, 2011.
- Faas GC, Raghavachari S, Lisman JE, Mody I. Calmodulin as a direct detector of Ca2+ signals.. Nature neuroscience, 2011.
- Barth AM, Mody I. Changes in hippocampal neuronal activity during and after unilateral selective hippocampal ischemia in vivo.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2011.
- Clarkson AN, Huang BS, Macisaac SE, Mody I, Carmichael ST. Reducing excessive GABA-mediated tonic inhibition promotes functional recovery after stroke.. Nature, 2010.
- Wyeth MS, Zhang N, Mody I, Houser CR. Selective reduction of cholecystokinin-positive basket cell innervation in a model of temporal lobe epilepsy.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2010.
- Farshchi S, Pesterev A, Nuyujukian P, Guenterberg E, Mody I, Judy JW. Embedded neural recording with TinyOS-based wireless-enabled processor modules.. IEEE transactions on neural systems and rehabilitation engineering : a publication of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 2010.
- Mann EO, Mody I. Control of hippocampal gamma oscillation frequency by tonic inhibition and excitation of interneurons.. Nature neuroscience, 2009.
- Maguire J, Mody I. Steroid hormone fluctuations and GABA(A)R plasticity.. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 2009.
- Maguire J, Ferando I, Simonsen C, Mody I. Excitability changes related to GABAA receptor plasticity during pregnancy.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2009.
- Hájos N, Mody I. Establishing a physiological environment for visualized in vitro brain slice recordings by increasing oxygen supply and modifying aCSF content.. Journal of neuroscience methods, 2009.
- Elsas SM, Hazany S, Gregory WL, Mody I. Hippocampal zinc infusion delays the development of afterdischarges and seizures in a kindling model of epilepsy.. Epilepsia, 2009.
- Engel J, Bragin A, Staba R, Mody I. High-frequency oscillations: what is normal and what is not?. Epilepsia, 2008.
- Choi DS, Wei W, Deitchman JK, Kharazia VN, Lesscher HM, McMahon T, Wang D, Qi ZH, Sieghart W, Zhang C, Shokat KM, Mody I, Messing RO. Protein kinase Cdelta regulates ethanol intoxication and enhancement of GABA-stimulated tonic current.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2008.
- Cui Y, Costa RM, Murphy GG, Elgersma Y, Zhu Y, Gutmann DH, Parada LF, Mody I, Silva AJ. Neurofibromin regulation of ERK signaling modulates GABA release and learning.. Cell, 2008.
- Maguire J, Mody I. GABA(A)R plasticity during pregnancy: relevance to postpartum depression.. Neuron, 2008.
- Sokolova IV, Mody I. Silencing-induced metaplasticity in hippocampal cultured neurons.. Journal of neurophysiology, 2008.
- Mody I. "One swallow does not make a summer" ... or does it?. Epilepsy currents, 2008.
- Mann EO, Mody I. The multifaceted role of inhibition in epilepsy: seizure-genesis through excessive GABAergic inhibition in autosomal dominant nocturnal frontal lobe epilepsy.. Current opinion in neurology, 2008.
- Glykys J, Mann EO, Mody I. Which GABA(A) receptor subunits are necessary for tonic inhibition in the hippocampus?. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2008.
- Glykys J, Mody I. Activation of GABAA receptors: views from outside the synaptic cleft.. Neuron, 2007.
- Farshchi S, Pesterev A, Nuyujukian PH, Mody I, Judy JW. Bi-Fi: an embedded sensor/system architecture for REMOTE biological monitoring.. IEEE transactions on information technology in biomedicine : a publication of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 2007.
- Faas GC, Schwaller B, Vergara JL, Mody I. Resolving the fast kinetics of cooperative binding: Ca2+ buffering by calretinin.. PLoS biology, 2007.
- Mody I. Extrasynaptic GABAA receptors in the crosshairs of hormones and ethanol.. Neurochemistry international, 2007.
- Zhang N, Wei W, Mody I, Houser CR. Altered localization of GABA(A) receptor subunits on dentate granule cell dendrites influences tonic and phasic inhibition in a mouse model of epilepsy.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2007.
- Glykys J, Mody I. The main source of ambient GABA responsible for tonic inhibition in the mouse hippocampus.. The Journal of physiology, 2007.
- Mody I, Glykys J, Wei W. A new meaning for "Gin & Tonic": tonic inhibition as the target for ethanol action in the brain.. Alcohol (Fayetteville, N.Y.), 2007.
- Spampanato J, Mody I. Spike timing of lacunosom-moleculare targeting interneurons and CA3 pyramidal cells during high-frequency network oscillations in vitro.. Journal of neurophysiology, 2007.
- Maguire J, Mody I. Neurosteroid synthesis-mediated regulation of GABA(A) receptors: relevance to the ovarian cycle and stress.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2007.
- Glykys J, Peng Z, Chandra D, Homanics GE, Houser CR, Mody I. A new naturally occurring GABA(A) receptor subunit partnership with high sensitivity to ethanol.. Nature neuroscience, 2006.
- Klaassen A, Glykys J, Maguire J, Labarca C, Mody I, Boulter J. Seizures and enhanced cortical GABAergic inhibition in two mouse models of human autosomal dominant nocturnal frontal lobe epilepsy.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2006.
- Andrásfalvy BK, Mody I. Differences between the scaling of miniature IPSCs and EPSCs recorded in the dendrites of CA1 mouse pyramidal neurons.. The Journal of physiology, 2006.
- Farshchi S, Nuyujukian PH, Pesterev A, Mody I, Judy JW. A TinyOS-enabled MICA2-based wireless neural interface.. IEEE transactions on bio-medical engineering, 2006.
- Glykys J, Mody I. Hippocampal network hyperactivity after selective reduction of tonic inhibition in GABA A receptor alpha5 subunit-deficient mice.. Journal of neurophysiology, 2006.
- Irazoqui PP, Mody I, Judy JW. Recording brain activity wirelessly. Inductive powering in miniature implantable neural recording devices.. IEEE engineering in medicine and biology magazine : the quarterly magazine of the Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society, 2005.
- Chanda B, Blunck R, Faria LC, Schweizer FE, Mody I, Bezanilla F. A hybrid approach to measuring electrical activity in genetically specified neurons.. Nature neuroscience, 2005.
- Maguire JL, Stell BM, Rafizadeh M, Mody I. Ovarian cycle-linked changes in GABA(A) receptors mediating tonic inhibition alter seizure susceptibility and anxiety.. Nature neuroscience, 2005.
- Gu X, Li C, Wei W, Lo V, Gong S, Li SH, Iwasato T, Itohara S, Li XJ, Mody I, Heintz N, Yang XW. Pathological cell-cell interactions elicited by a neuropathogenic form of mutant Huntingtin contribute to cortical pathogenesis in HD mice.. Neuron, 2005.
- Chiu CS, Brickley S, Jensen K, Southwell A, Mckinney S, Cull-Candy S, Mody I, Lester HA. GABA transporter deficiency causes tremor, ataxia, nervousness, and increased GABA-induced tonic conductance in cerebellum.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2005.
- Faas GC, Karacs K, Vergara JL, Mody I. Kinetic properties of DM-nitrophen binding to calcium and magnesium.. Biophysical journal, 2005.
- Mody I. Aspects of the homeostaic plasticity of GABAA receptor-mediated inhibition.. The Journal of physiology, 2004.
- Mody I. Another "tonic" in the realm of epilepsy.. Epilepsy currents, 2004.
- Peng Z, Huang CS, Stell BM, Mody I, Houser CR. Altered expression of the delta subunit of the GABAA receptor in a mouse model of temporal lobe epilepsy.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2004.
- Wei W, Faria LC, Mody I. Low ethanol concentrations selectively augment the tonic inhibition mediated by delta subunit-containing GABAA receptors in hippocampal neurons.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2004.
- Mody I, Pearce RA. Diversity of inhibitory neurotransmission through GABA(A) receptors.. Trends in neurosciences, 2004.
- Bragin A, Wilson CL, Almajano J, Mody I, Engel J. High-frequency oscillations after status epilepticus: epileptogenesis and seizure genesis.. Epilepsia, 2004.
- Faria LC, Mody I. Protective effect of ifenprodil against spreading depression in the mouse entorhinal cortex.. Journal of neurophysiology, 2004.
- Farshchi S, Mody I, Judy JW. A TinyOS-based wireless neural interface.. Conference proceedings : ... Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. Annual Conference, 2004.
- Wei W, Zhang N, Peng Z, Houser CR, Mody I. Perisynaptic localization of delta subunit-containing GABA(A) receptors and their activation by GABA spillover in the mouse dentate gyrus.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2003.
- Stell BM, Brickley SG, Tang CY, Farrant M, Mody I. Neuroactive steroids reduce neuronal excitability by selectively enhancing tonic inhibition mediated by delta subunit-containing GABAA receptors.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2003.
- Mody I. Calcium and Autosomal Dominant Nocturnal Frontal Lobe Epilepsy (ADNFLE).. Epilepsy currents, 2003.
- Stell B, Mody I. A tale of timing and transport.. Neuron, 2003.
- Ren X, Mody I. Gamma-hydroxybutyrate reduces mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphorylation via GABA B receptor activation in mouse frontal cortex and hippocampus.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 2003.
- Dalby NO, Mody I. Activation of NMDA receptors in rat dentate gyrus granule cells by spontaneous and evoked transmitter release.. Journal of neurophysiology, 2003.
- Jensen K, Chiu CS, Sokolova I, Lester HA, Mody I. GABA transporter-1 (GAT1)-deficient mice: differential tonic activation of GABAA versus GABAB receptors in the hippocampus.. Journal of neurophysiology, 2003.
- Chiu CS, Jensen K, Sokolova I, Wang D, Li M, Deshpande P, Davidson N, Mody I, Quick MW, Quake SR, Lester HA. Number, density, and surface/cytoplasmic distribution of GABA transporters at presynaptic structures of knock-in mice carrying GABA transporter subtype 1-green fluorescent protein fusions.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2002.
- Behr J, Gebhardt C, Heinemann U, Mody I. Kindling enhances kainate receptor-mediated depression of GABAergic inhibition in rat granule cells.. The European journal of neuroscience, 2002.
- Mody I. The GAD-given Right of Dentate Gyrus Granule Cells to Become GABAergic.. Epilepsy currents, 2002.
- Stell BM, Mody I. Receptors with different affinities mediate phasic and tonic GABA(A) conductances in hippocampal neurons.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2002.
- Nusser Z, Mody I. Selective modulation of tonic and phasic inhibitions in dentate gyrus granule cells.. Journal of neurophysiology, 2002.
- Bragin A, Mody I, Wilson CL, Engel J. Local generation of fast ripples in epileptic brain.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2002.