Michele A Basso
Professor-in-Residence, Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California Los Angeles
635 Charles Young Dr.
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Dr. Michele A. Basso is a Professor in the Departments of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences and Neurobiology. She studied Neuroscience at Stony Brook University in NY and was a post-doctoral fellow at the National Eye Institute, NIH. After serving as a faculty member at the University of Wisconsin Madison, she moved to UCLA to join the faculty and direct the Fuster Laboratory of Cognitive Neuroscience. The work performed in her laboratory is aimed at unravelling the neuronal circuits of decision-making in health and disease. Her work spans multiple species and employs multiple technologies designed to understand how memory and sensory information are combined to give rise to our decisions.
A selected list of publications:
- Jun EJ, Bautista AR, Nunez MD, Allen DC, Tak JH, Alvarez E, Basso MA. Causal role for the primate superior colliculus in the computation of evidence for perceptual decisions.. Nature neuroscience, 2021.
- Cho SH, Crapse T, Grimaldi P, Lau H, Basso MA. Variable Statistical Structure of Neuronal Spike Trains in Monkey Superior Colliculus.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2021.
- Basso MA, Bickford ME, Cang J. Unraveling circuits of visual perception and cognition through the superior colliculus.. Neuron, 2021.
- Tremblay S, Acker L, Afraz A, Albaugh DL, Amita H, Andrei AR, Angelucci A, Aschner A, Balan PF, Basso MA, Benvenuti G, Bohlen MO, Caiola MJ, Calcedo R, Cavanaugh J, Chen Y, Chen S, Chernov MM, Clark AM, Dai J, Debes SR, Deisseroth K, Desimone R, Dragoi V, Egger SW, Eldridge MAG, El-Nahal HG, Fabbrini F, Federer F, Fetsch CR, Fortuna MG, Friedman RM, Fujii N, Gail A, Galvan A, Ghosh S, Gieselmann MA, Gulli RA, Hikosaka O, Hosseini EA, Hu X, Hüer J, Inoue KI, Janz R, Jazayeri M, Jiang R, Ju N, Kar K, Klein C, Kohn A, Komatsu M, Maeda K, Martinez-Trujillo JC, Matsumoto M, Maunsell JHR, Mendoza-Halliday D, Monosov IE, Muers RS, Nurminen L, Ortiz-Rios M, O'Shea DJ, Palfi S, Petkov CI, Pojoga S, Rajalingham R, Ramakrishnan C, Remington ED, Revsine C, Roe AW, Sabes PN, Saunders RC, Scherberger H, Schmid MC, Schultz W, Seidemann E, Senova YS, Shadlen MN, Sheinberg DL, Siu C, Smith Y, Solomon SS, Sommer MA, Spudich JL, Stauffer WR, Takada M, Tang S, Thiele A, Treue S, Vanduffel W, Vogels R, Whitmire MP, Wichmann T, Wurtz RH, Xu H, Yazdan-Shahmorad A, Shenoy KV, DiCarlo JJ, Platt ML. An Open Resource for Non-human Primate Optogenetics.. Neuron, 2020.
- Cushnie AK, El-Nahal HG, Bohlen MO, May PJ, Basso MA, Grimaldi P, Wang MZ, de Velasco Ezequiel MF, Sommer MA, Heilbronner SR. Using rAAV2-retro in rhesus macaques: Promise and caveats for circuit manipulation.. Journal of neuroscience methods, 2020.
- Grimaldi P, Cho SH, Lau H, Basso MA. Superior colliculus signals decisions rather than confidence: analysis of single neurons.. Journal of neurophysiology, 2018.
- Villalobos CA, Wu Q, Lee PH, May PJ, Basso MA. Parvalbumin and GABA Microcircuits in the Mouse Superior Colliculus.. Frontiers in neural circuits, 2018.
- Odegaard B, Grimaldi P, Cho SH, Peters MAK, Lau H, Basso MA. Superior colliculus neuronal ensemble activity signals optimal rather than subjective confidence.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2018.
- Crapse TB, Lau H, Basso MA. A Role for the Superior Colliculus in Decision Criteria.. Neuron, 2018.
- May PJ, Basso MA. Connections between the zona incerta and superior colliculus in the monkey and squirrel.. Brain structure & function, 2017.
- Basso MA, May PJ. Circuits for Action and Cognition: A View from the Superior Colliculus.. Annual review of vision science, 2017.
- Basso MA. Monkey neurophysiology to clinical neuroscience and back again.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2016.
- Ghitani N, Bayguinov PO, Basso MA, Jackson MB. A sodium afterdepolarization in rat superior colliculus neurons and its contribution to population activity.. Journal of neurophysiology, 2016.
- Bayguinov PO, Ghitani N, Jackson MB, Basso MA. A hard-wired priority map in the superior colliculus shaped by asymmetric inhibitory circuitry.. Journal of neurophysiology, 2015.
- Grimaldi P, Lau H, Basso MA. There are things that we know that we know, and there are things that we do not know we do not know: Confidence in decision-making.. Neuroscience and biobehavioral reviews, 2015.
- Vokoun CR, Huang X, Jackson MB, Basso MA. Response normalization in the superficial layers of the superior colliculus as a possible mechanism for saccadic averaging.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2014.
- Ghitani N, Bayguinov PO, Vokoun CR, McMahon S, Jackson MB, Basso MA. Excitatory synaptic feedback from the motor layer to the sensory layers of the superior colliculus.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2014.
- Powers AS, Basso MA, Evinger C. Blinks slow memory-guided saccades.. Journal of neurophysiology, 2012.
- Vokoun CR, Jackson MB, Basso MA. Circuit dynamics of the superior colliculus revealed by in vitro voltage imaging.. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 2011.
- Shires J, Joshi S, Basso MA. Shedding new light on the role of the basal ganglia-superior colliculus pathway in eye movements.. Current opinion in neurobiology, 2010.
- Vokoun CR, Jackson MB, Basso MA. Intralaminar and interlaminar activity within the rodent superior colliculus visualized with voltage imaging.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2010.
- Kim B, Basso MA. A probabilistic strategy for understanding action selection.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2010.
- Li X, Basso MA. Preparing to move increases the sensitivity of superior colliculus neurons.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2008.
- Kim B, Basso MA. Saccade target selection in the superior colliculus: a signal detection theory approach.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2008.
- Li X, Kim B, Basso MA. Transient pauses in delay-period activity of superior colliculus neurons.. Journal of neurophysiology, 2006.
- Li X, Basso MA. Competitive stimulus interactions within single response fields of superior colliculus neurons.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2005.
- Basso MA, Uhlrich D, Bickford ME. Cortical function: a view from the thalamus.. Neuron, 2005.
- Dobkin BH, Apple D, Barbeau H, Basso M, Behrman A, Deforge D, Ditunno J, Dudley G, Elashoff R, Fugate L, Harkema S, Saulino M, Scott M. Methods for a randomized trial of weight-supported treadmill training versus conventional training for walking during inpatient rehabilitation after incomplete traumatic spinal cord injury.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2003.