Alcino Jose Silva
Professor, Neurobiology, University of California Los Angeles
Professor, Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Alcino Silva got his Bachelor of Science from Rutgers University in 1979. There, he worked with William Sofer on Drosophila tRNA non-sense suppressors and minored on philosophy (epistemology). In 1983 he joined the graduate program of human genetics at the University of Utah, where he worked with Ray White, a pioneer in Human Genetics, on the inheritance of epigenetic information (Silva et al, 1988; Cell PMID: 2898978). During his post-doctoral work at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology with Nobel Laureate Dr. Susumu Tonegawa (1988-92), Dr. Alcino J. Silva introduced transgenic mice to neuroscience studies of learning and memory and pioneered the field of Molecular and Cellular Cognition (Silva et al, Science 1992, PMIDs 1321493 &1378648). His first independent position (1992) was with the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, NY, where his research group had a key role in the development of Molecular and Cellular Cognition into a mainstream neuroscience field. In 2002 Dr. Silva founded and became the first President of the Molecular and Cellular Cognition Society, an international organization with more than 7000 members and with branches in North America, Asia and Europe. Besides work on molecular, cellular and circuit approaches to cognition, his laboratory also develops bioinformatics strategies to address the growing complexity of the literature, including the development of a set of algorithms and a free web app (researchmaps.org) to track causal information in biology. In 2006/2007 Dr. Silva served as Scientific Director of the Intramural Program of the National Institute of Mental Health. He is currently a Distinguished Professor in the Departments of Neurobiology, Psychiatry & Biobehavioral Sciences, and Psychology, and directs the Integrative Center for Learning and Memory. He has been awarded a number of prizes and distinctions, including most recently the Order of Prince Henry (2008), the Senior Roche Award For Translational Neuroscience (2009), and in 2012 he was elected a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement Science.
- López-Aranda MF, Chattopadhyay I, Boxx GM, Fraley ER, Silva TK, Zhou M, Phan M, Herrera I, Taloma S, Mandanas R, Bach K, Gandal M, Geschwind DH, Cheng G, Rzhetsky A, White SA, Silva AJ. Postnatal immune activation causes social deficits in a mouse model of tuberous sclerosis: Role of microglia and clinical implications.. Science advances, 2021.
- Wang W, Schuette PJ, La-Vu MQ, Torossian A, Tobias BC, Ceko M, Kragel PA, Reis FM, Ji S, Sehgal M, Maesta-Pereira S, Chakerian M, Silva AJ, Canteras NS, Wager T, Kao JC, Adhikari A. Dorsal premammillary projection to periaqueductal gray controls escape vigor from innate and conditioned threats.. eLife, 2021.
- de Sousa AF, Chowdhury A, Silva AJ. Dimensions and mechanisms of memory organization.. Neuron, 2021.
- Matiasz NJ, Wood J, Wang W, Silva AJ, Hsu W. Experiment Selection in Meta-Analytic Piecemeal Causal Discovery.. IEEE access : practical innovations, open solutions, 2021.
- Luchetti A, Chowdhury A, Silva AJ. Getting the full picture.. eLife, 2019.
- Ryu HH, Kim T, Kim JW, Kang M, Park P, Kim YG, Kim H, Ha J, Choi JE, Lee J, Lim CS, Kim CH, Kim SJ, Silva AJ, Kaang BK, Lee YS. Excitatory neuron-specific SHP2-ERK signaling network regulates synaptic plasticity and memory.. Science signaling, 2019.
- Joy MT, Ben Assayag E, Shabashov-Stone D, Liraz-Zaltsman S, Mazzitelli J, Arenas M, Abduljawad N, Kliper E, Korczyn AD, Thareja NS, Kesner EL, Zhou M, Huang S, Silva TK, Katz N, Bornstein NM, Silva AJ, Shohami E, Carmichael ST. CCR5 Is a Therapeutic Target for Recovery after Stroke and Traumatic Brain Injury.. Cell, 2019.
- Aharoni D, Khakh BS, Silva AJ, Golshani P. All the light that we can see: a new era in miniaturized microscopy.. Nature methods, 2019.
- Howe JR, Bear MF, Golshani P, Klann E, Lipton SA, Mucke L, Sahin M, Silva AJ. The mouse as a model for neuropsychiatric drug development.. Current biology : CB, 2018.
- Matiasz NJ, Wood J, Doshi P, Speier W, Beckemeyer B, Wang W, Hsu W, Silva AJ. ResearchMaps.org for integrating and planning research.. PloS one, 2018.
- Lisman J, Cooper K, Sehgal M, Silva AJ. Memory formation depends on both synapse-specific modifications of synaptic strength and cell-specific increases in excitability.. Nature neuroscience, 2018.
- Frank AC, Huang S, Zhou M, Gdalyahu A, Kastellakis G, Silva TK, Lu E, Wen X, Poirazi P, Trachtenberg JT, Silva AJ. Hotspots of dendritic spine turnover facilitate clustered spine addition and learning and memory.. Nature communications, 2018.
- Silva AJ. Miniaturized two-photon microscope: seeing clearer and deeper into the brain.. Light, science & applications, 2017.
- Jonas RK, Roh E, Montojo CA, Pacheco LA, Rosser T, Silva AJ, Bearden CE. Risky Decision Making in Neurofibromatosis Type 1: An Exploratory Study.. Biological psychiatry. Cognitive neuroscience and neuroimaging, 2017.
- Matiasz NJ, Wood J, Wang W, Silva AJ, Hsu W. Computer-Aided Experiment Planning toward Causal Discovery in Neuroscience.. Frontiers in neuroinformatics, 2017.
- Zhou M, Greenhill S, Huang S, Silva TK, Sano Y, Wu S, Cai Y, Nagaoka Y, Sehgal M, Cai DJ, Lee YS, Fox K, Silva AJ. CCR5 is a suppressor for cortical plasticity and hippocampal learning and memory.. eLife, 2016.
- Payne JM, Barton B, Ullrich NJ, Cantor A, Hearps SJ, Cutter G, Rosser T, Walsh KS, Gioia GA, Wolters PL, Tonsgard J, Schorry E, Viskochil D, Klesse L, Fisher M, Gutmann DH, Silva AJ, Hunter SJ, Rey-Casserly C, Cantor NL, Byars AW, Stavinoha PL, Ackerson JD, Armstrong CL, Isenberg J, O'Neil SH, Packer RJ, Korf B, Acosta MT, North KN, NF Clinical Trials Consortium . Randomized placebo-controlled study of lovastatin in children with neurofibromatosis type 1.. Neurology, 2016.
- Silva AJ, Müller KR. Corrigendum: The need for novel informatics tools for integrating and planning research in molecular and cellular cognition.. Learning & memory (Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.), 2016.
- Rogerson T, Jayaprakash B, Cai DJ, Sano Y, Lee YS, Zhou Y, Bekal P, Deisseroth K, Silva AJ. Molecular and Cellular Mechanisms for Trapping and Activating Emotional Memories.. PloS one, 2016.
- Cai DJ, Aharoni D, Shuman T, Shobe J, Biane J, Song W, Wei B, Veshkini M, La-Vu M, Lou J, Flores SE, Kim I, Sano Y, Zhou M, Baumgaertel K, Lavi A, Kamata M, Tuszynski M, Mayford M, Golshani P, Silva AJ. A shared neural ensemble links distinct contextual memories encoded close in time.. Nature, 2016.
- Izquierdo A, Silva AJ. Hijacking translation in addiction.. eLife, 2016.
- Bearden CE, Hellemann GS, Rosser T, Montojo C, Jonas R, Enrique N, Pacheco L, Hussain SA, Wu JY, Ho JS, McGough JJ, Sugar CA, Silva AJ. A randomized placebo-controlled lovastatin trial for neurobehavioral function in neurofibromatosis I.. Annals of clinical and translational neurology, 2016.
- Tomson SN, Schreiner MJ, Narayan M, Rosser T, Enrique N, Silva AJ, Allen GI, Bookheimer SY, Bearden CE. Resting state functional MRI reveals abnormal network connectivity in neurofibromatosis 1.. Human brain mapping, 2015.
- Silva AJ, Müller KR. The need for novel informatics tools for integrating and planning research in molecular and cellular cognition.. Learning & memory (Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.), 2015.
- Tang Q, Kang SM. Interpretation of transplant biopsies and immune responses following Treg cell therapy.. Current opinion in organ transplantation, 2014.
- Sano Y, Shobe JL, Zhou M, Huang S, Shuman T, Cai DJ, Golshani P, Kamata M, Silva AJ. CREB regulates memory allocation in the insular cortex.. Current biology : CB, 2014.
- Lee YS, Ehninger D, Zhou M, Oh JY, Kang M, Kwak C, Ryu HH, Butz D, Araki T, Cai Y, Balaji J, Sano Y, Nam CI, Kim HK, Kaang BK, Burger C, Neel BG, Silva AJ. Mechanism and treatment for learning and memory deficits in mouse models of Noonan syndrome.. Nature neuroscience, 2014.
- Le Belle JE, Sperry J, Ngo A, Ghochani Y, Laks DR, López-Aranda M, Silva AJ, Kornblum HI. Maternal inflammation contributes to brain overgrowth and autism-associated behaviors through altered redox signaling in stem and progenitor cells.. Stem cell reports, 2014.
- Achterberg KG, Buitendijk GH, Kool MJ, Goorden SM, Post L, Slump DE, Silva AJ, van Woerden GM, Kushner SA, Elgersma Y. Temporal and region-specific requirements of αCaMKII in spatial and contextual learning.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2014.
- Czajkowski R, Jayaprakash B, Wiltgen B, Rogerson T, Guzman-Karlsson MC, Barth AL, Trachtenberg JT, Silva AJ. Encoding and storage of spatial information in the retrosplenial cortex.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2014.
- Rogerson T, Cai DJ, Frank A, Sano Y, Shobe J, Lopez-Aranda MF, Silva AJ. Synaptic tagging during memory allocation.. Nature reviews. Neuroscience, 2014.
- Landreth A, Silva AJ. The need for research maps to navigate published work and inform experiment planning.. Neuron, 2013.
- Zhou M, Li W, Huang S, Song J, Kim JY, Tian X, Kang E, Sano Y, Liu C, Balaji J, Wu S, Zhou Y, Zhou Y, Parivash SN, Ehninger D, He L, Song H, Ming GL, Silva AJ. mTOR Inhibition ameliorates cognitive and affective deficits caused by Disc1 knockdown in adult-born dentate granule neurons.. Neuron, 2013.
- Gdalyahu A, Tring E, Polack PO, Gruver R, Golshani P, Fanselow MS, Silva AJ, Trachtenberg JT. Associative fear learning enhances sparse network coding in primary sensory cortex.. Neuron, 2012.
- Cho J, Bhatt R, Elgersma Y, Silva AJ. α-Calcium calmodulin kinase II modulates the temporal structure of hippocampal bursting patterns.. PloS one, 2012.
- Silva AJ. Obituary: A career that transformed neuroscience.. Brain research bulletin, 2011.
- Kaneko M, Cheetham CE, Lee YS, Silva AJ, Stryker MP, Fox K. Constitutively active H-ras accelerates multiple forms of plasticity in developing visual cortex.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2010.
- Ehninger D, Silva AJ. Increased levels of anxiety-related behaviors in a Tsc2 dominant negative transgenic mouse model of tuberous sclerosis.. Behavior genetics, 2010.
- Shilyansky C, Karlsgodt KH, Cummings DM, Sidiropoulou K, Hardt M, James AS, Ehninger D, Bearden CE, Poirazi P, Jentsch JD, Cannon TD, Levine MS, Silva AJ. Neurofibromin regulates corticostriatal inhibitory networks during working memory performance.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2010.
- Buard I, Coultrap SJ, Freund RK, Lee YS, Dell'Acqua ML, Silva AJ, Bayer KU. CaMKII "autonomy" is required for initiating but not for maintaining neuronal long-term information storage.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2010.
- Matynia A, Ng CH, Dansithong W, Chiang A, Silva AJ, Reddy S. Muscleblind1, but not Dmpk or Six5, contributes to a complex phenotype of muscular and motivational deficits in mouse models of myotonic dystrophy.. PloS one, 2010.
- Feng J, Zhou Y, Campbell SL, Le T, Li E, Sweatt JD, Silva AJ, Fan G. Dnmt1 and Dnmt3a maintain DNA methylation and regulate synaptic function in adult forebrain neurons.. Nature neuroscience, 2010.
- Silva AJ, Zhou Y, Rogerson T, Shobe J, Balaji J. Molecular and cellular approaches to memory allocation in neural circuits.. Science (New York, N.Y.), 2009.
- Zhou Y, Won J, Karlsson MG, Zhou M, Rogerson T, Balaji J, Neve R, Poirazi P, Silva AJ. CREB regulates excitability and the allocation of memory to subsets of neurons in the amygdala.. Nature neuroscience, 2009.
- Ehninger D, Silva AJ. Genetics and neuropsychiatric disorders: treatment during adulthood.. Nature medicine, 2009.
- Huynh DP, Maalouf M, Silva AJ, Schweizer FE, Pulst SM. Dissociated fear and spatial learning in mice with deficiency of ataxin-2.. PloS one, 2009.
- Silva AJ, Ehninger D. Adult reversal of cognitive phenotypes in neurodevelopmental disorders.. Journal of neurodevelopmental disorders, 2009.
- Hutnick LK, Golshani P, Namihira M, Xue Z, Matynia A, Yang XW, Silva AJ, Schweizer FE, Fan G. DNA hypomethylation restricted to the murine forebrain induces cortical degeneration and impairs postnatal neuronal maturation.. Human molecular genetics, 2009.
- Lee YS, Silva AJ. The molecular and cellular biology of enhanced cognition.. Nature reviews. Neuroscience, 2009.
- Ehninger D, Li W, Fox K, Stryker MP, Silva AJ. Reversing neurodevelopmental disorders in adults.. Neuron, 2008.
- Cui Y, Costa RM, Murphy GG, Elgersma Y, Zhu Y, Gutmann DH, Parada LF, Mody I, Silva AJ. Neurofibromin regulation of ERK signaling modulates GABA release and learning.. Cell, 2008.
- Kimura R, Silva AJ, Ohno M. Autophosphorylation of alphaCaMKII is differentially involved in new learning and unlearning mechanisms of memory extinction.. Learning & memory (Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.), 2008.
- Ehninger D, Han S, Shilyansky C, Zhou Y, Li W, Kwiatkowski DJ, Ramesh V, Silva AJ. Reversal of learning deficits in a Tsc2+/- mouse model of tuberous sclerosis.. Nature medicine, 2008.
- Matynia A, Anagnostaras SG, Wiltgen BJ, Lacuesta M, Fanselow MS, Silva AJ. A high through-put reverse genetic screen identifies two genes involved in remote memory in mice.. PloS one, 2008.
- Silva AJ. The science of research: the principles underlying the discovery of cognitive and other biological mechanisms.. Journal of physiology, Paris, 2008.
- Zhou Y, Takahashi E, Li W, Halt A, Wiltgen B, Ehninger D, Li GD, Hell JW, Kennedy MB, Silva AJ. Interactions between the NR2B receptor and CaMKII modulate synaptic plasticity and spatial learning.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2007.
- Li W, Zhou Y, Jentsch JD, Brown RA, Tian X, Ehninger D, Hennah W, Peltonen L, Lönnqvist J, Huttunen MO, Kaprio J, Trachtenberg JT, Silva AJ, Cannon TD. Specific developmental disruption of disrupted-in-schizophrenia-1 function results in schizophrenia-related phenotypes in mice.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2007.
- Won J, Silva AJ. Molecular and cellular mechanisms of memory allocation in neuronetworks.. Neurobiology of learning and memory, 2007.
- Hojjati MR, van Woerden GM, Tyler WJ, Giese KP, Silva AJ, Pozzo-Miller L, Elgersma Y. Kinase activity is not required for alphaCaMKII-dependent presynaptic plasticity at CA3-CA1 synapses.. Nature neuroscience, 2007.
- Han JH, Kushner SA, Yiu AP, Cole CJ, Matynia A, Brown RA, Neve RL, Guzowski JF, Silva AJ, Josselyn SA. Neuronal competition and selection during memory formation.. Science (New York, N.Y.), 2007.
- Wiltgen BJ, Silva AJ. Memory for context becomes less specific with time.. Learning & memory (Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.), 2007.
- Murphy GG, Rahnama NP, Silva AJ. Investigation of age-related cognitive decline using mice as a model system: behavioral correlates.. The American journal of geriatric psychiatry : official journal of the American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry, 2006.
- Murphy GG, Shah V, Hell JW, Silva AJ. Investigation of age-related cognitive decline using mice as a model system: neurophysiological correlates.. The American journal of geriatric psychiatry : official journal of the American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry, 2006.
- Frankland PW, Ding HK, Takahashi E, Suzuki A, Kida S, Silva AJ. Stability of recent and remote contextual fear memory.. Learning & memory (Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.), 2006.
- Ohno M, Sametsky EA, Silva AJ, Disterhoft JF. Differential effects of alphaCaMKII mutation on hippocampal learning and changes in intrinsic neuronal excitability.. The European journal of neuroscience, 2006.
- Nagy V, Bozdagi O, Matynia A, Balcerzyk M, Okulski P, Dzwonek J, Costa RM, Silva AJ, Kaczmarek L, Huntley GW. Matrix metalloproteinase-9 is required for hippocampal late-phase long-term potentiation and memory.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2006.
- Chen AP, Ohno M, Giese KP, Kühn R, Chen RL, Silva AJ. Forebrain-specific knockout of B-raf kinase leads to deficits in hippocampal long-term potentiation, learning, and memory.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2006.
- Li W, Cui Y, Kushner SA, Brown RA, Jentsch JD, Frankland PW, Cannon TD, Silva AJ. The HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor lovastatin reverses the learning and attention deficits in a mouse model of neurofibromatosis type 1.. Current biology : CB, 2005.
- Kushner SA, Elgersma Y, Murphy GG, Jaarsma D, van Woerden GM, Hojjati MR, Cui Y, LeBoutillier JC, Marrone DF, Choi ES, De Zeeuw CI, Petit TL, Pozzo-Miller L, Silva AJ. Modulation of presynaptic plasticity and learning by the H-ras/extracellular signal-regulated kinase/synapsin I signaling pathway.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2005.
- Costa RM, Drew C, Silva AJ. Notch to remember.. Trends in neurosciences, 2005.
- Ohno M, Tseng W, Silva AJ, Disterhoft JF. Trace eyeblink conditioning requires the hippocampus but not autophosphorylation of alphaCaMKII in mice.. Learning & memory (Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.), 2005.
- Murphy GG, Fedorov NB, Giese KP, Ohno M, Friedman E, Chen R, Silva AJ. Increased neuronal excitability, synaptic plasticity, and learning in aged Kvbeta1.1 knockout mice.. Current biology : CB, 2004.
- Wiltgen BJ, Brown RA, Talton LE, Silva AJ. New circuits for old memories: the role of the neocortex in consolidation.. Neuron, 2004.
- Israely I, Costa RM, Xie CW, Silva AJ, Kosik KS, Liu X. Deletion of the neuron-specific protein delta-catenin leads to severe cognitive and synaptic dysfunction.. Current biology : CB, 2004.
- Suzuki A, Josselyn SA, Frankland PW, Masushige S, Silva AJ, Kida S. Memory reconsolidation and extinction have distinct temporal and biochemical signatures.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2004.
- Frankland PW, Bontempi B, Talton LE, Kaczmarek L, Silva AJ. The involvement of the anterior cingulate cortex in remote contextual fear memory.. Science (New York, N.Y.), 2004.
- Brown R, Silva AJ. Molecular and cellular cognition; the unraveling of memory retrieval.. Cell, 2004.
- Frankland PW, Josselyn SA, Anagnostaras SG, Kogan JH, Takahashi E, Silva AJ. Consolidation of CS and US representations in associative fear conditioning.. Hippocampus, 2004.
- Wang J, Ren K, Pérez J, Silva AJ, Peña de Ortiz S. The antimetabolite ara-CTP blocks long-term memory of conditioned taste aversion.. Learning & memory (Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.), 2003.
- Costa RM, Honjo T, Silva AJ. Learning and memory deficits in Notch mutant mice.. Current biology : CB, 2003.
- Frankland PW, Ohno M, Takahashi E, Chen AR, Costa RM, Kushner SA, Silva AJ. Pharmacologically regulated induction of silent mutations (PRISM): combined pharmacological and genetic approaches for learning and memory.. The Neuroscientist : a review journal bringing neurobiology, neurology and psychiatry, 2003.
- Dhaka A, Costa RM, Hu H, Irvin DK, Patel A, Kornblum HI, Silva AJ, O'Dell TJ, Colicelli J. The RAS effector RIN1 modulates the formation of aversive memories.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2003.
- Silva AJ. Molecular and cellular cognitive studies of the role of synaptic plasticity in memory.. Journal of neurobiology, 2003.
- Costa RM, Silva AJ. Mouse models of neurofibromatosis type I: bridging the GAP.. Trends in molecular medicine, 2003.
- Anagnostaras SG, Murphy GG, Hamilton SE, Mitchell SL, Rahnama NP, Nathanson NM, Silva AJ. Selective cognitive dysfunction in acetylcholine M1 muscarinic receptor mutant mice.. Nature neuroscience, 2003.
- Taha S, Hanover JL, Silva AJ, Stryker MP. Autophosphorylation of alphaCaMKII is required for ocular dominance plasticity.. Neuron, 2002.
- Elgersma Y, Fedorov NB, Ikonen S, Choi ES, Elgersma M, Carvalho OM, Giese KP, Silva AJ. Inhibitory autophosphorylation of CaMKII controls PSD association, plasticity, and learning.. Neuron, 2002.
- Matynia A, Kushner SA, Silva AJ. Genetic approaches to molecular and cellular cognition: a focus on LTP and learning and memory.. Annual review of genetics, 2002.
- Silva AJ, Josselyn SA. The molecules of forgetfulness.. Nature, 2002.
- Costa RM, Silva AJ. Molecular and cellular mechanisms underlying the cognitive deficits associated with neurofibromatosis 1.. Journal of child neurology, 2002.
- Ohno M, Frankland PW, Silva AJ. A pharmacogenetic inducible approach to the study of NMDA/alphaCaMKII signaling in synaptic plasticity.. Current biology : CB, 2002.
- Kida S, Josselyn SA, Peña de Ortiz S, Kogan JH, Chevere I, Masushige S, Silva AJ. CREB required for the stability of new and reactivated fear memories.. Nature neuroscience, 2002.
- Givogri MI, Costa RM, Schonmann V, Silva AJ, Campagnoni AT, Bongarzone ER. Central nervous system myelination in mice with deficient expression of Notch1 receptor.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2002.
- Costa RM, Federov NB, Kogan JH, Murphy GG, Stern J, Ohno M, Kucherlapati R, Jacks T, Silva AJ. Mechanism for the learning deficits in a mouse model of neurofibromatosis type 1.. Nature, 2002.