Associate Professor-in-Residence, Neurosurgery, University of California Los Angeles
Dr. Bari specializes in the neurosurgical repair and restoration of brain and nerve function. Following his neurosurgery residency training at UCLA, Dr. Bari was awarded the prestigious William P. Van Wagenen Fellowship to train at the world-renowned functional neurosurgery program at the University of Toronto. He has extensive clinical and research experience in the use of deep brain stimulation (DBS) in the treatment of both movement and psychiatric disorders. Dr. Bari’s clinical practice includes DBS surgery for Parkinson’s disease, tremor, dystonia, depression and OCD. In addition, his clinical practice includes neurosurgery for brain tumors, pain, and peripheral nerve disorders.
Dr. Bari’s research focuses on an interdisciplinary approach to studying the neurobiology underlying movement and psychiatric disorders and expanding the frontiers of neurosurgery to treat those disorders. As a part of his fellowship training, Dr. Bari studied the relationship between the motor and reward systems of the brain and the use of deep brain stimulation to modify and enhance them. A native of California, Dr. Bari completed his neurosurgery residency training at UCLA after receiving his MD and PhD degrees from Boston University. He completed his undergraduate training at UC Berkeley in the field of neurobiology.
- Seok D, Tadayonnejad R, Wong WW, O'Neill J, Cockburn J, Bari AA, O'Doherty JP, Feusner JD. Neurocircuit dynamics of arbitration between decision-making strategies across obsessive-compulsive and related disorders.. NeuroImage. Clinical, 2022.
- Kashanian A, Tsolaki E, Caruso J, Bari A, Pouratian N. Imaging as a Pain Biomarker.. Neurosurgery clinics of North America, 2022.
- Habibagahi I, Omidbeigi M, Hadaya J, Lyu H, Jang J, Ardell JL, Bari AA, Babakhani A. Vagus nerve stimulation using a miniaturized wirelessly powered stimulator in pigs.. Scientific reports, 2022.
- Murray SB, Zbozinek TD, Craske M, Tadayonnejad R, Strober M, Bari AA, O'Doherty JP, Feusner JD. Neural, physiological, and psychological markers of appetitive conditioning in anorexia nervosa: a study protocol.. Journal of eating disorders, 2022.
- Armenta Salas M, Bell J, Niketeghad S, Oswalt D, Bosking W, Patel U, Dorn JD, Yoshor D, Greenberg R, Bari A, Pouratian N. Sequence of visual cortex stimulation affects phosphene brightness in blind subjects.. Brain stimulation, 2022.
- Tadayonnejad R, Majid DA, Tsolaki E, Rane R, Wang H, Moody TD, Pauli WM, Pouratian N, Bari AA, Murray SB, O'Doherty JP, Feusner JD. Mesolimbic Neurobehavioral Mechanisms of Reward Motivation in Anorexia Nervosa: A Multimodal Imaging Study.. Frontiers in psychiatry, 2022.
- Kashanian A, Tsolaki E, Pouratian N, Bari AA. Deep Brain Stimulation of the Subgenual Cingulate Cortex for the Treatment of Chronic Low Back Pain.. Neuromodulation : journal of the International Neuromodulation Society, 2022.
- Spivak NM, Tyler WJ, Bari AA, Kuhn TP. Ultrasound as a Neurotherapeutic: A Circuit- and System-Based Interrogation.. Focus (American Psychiatric Publishing), 2022.
- Tadayonnejad R, Pizzagalli F, Murray SB, Pauli WM, Conde G, Bari AA, Strober M, O'Doherty JP, Feusner JD. White matter tracts characteristics in habitual decision-making circuit underlie ritual behaviors in anorexia nervosa.. Scientific reports, 2021.
- Omidbeigi M, Mousavi MS, Meknatkhah S, Edalatfar M, Bari A, Sharif-Alhoseini M. Telemetric Intracranial Pressure Monitoring: A Systematic Review.. Neurocritical care, 2021.
- Sui Y, Tian Y, Ko WKD, Wang Z, Jia F, Horn A, De Ridder D, Choi KS, Bari AA, Wang S, Hamani C, Baker KB, Machado AG, Aziz TZ, Fonoff ET, Kühn AA, Bergman H, Sanger T, Liu H, Haber SN, Li L. Deep Brain Stimulation Initiative: Toward Innovative Technology, New Disease Indications, and Approaches to Current and Future Clinical Challenges in Neuromodulation Therapy.. Frontiers in neurology, 2021.
- Edalatfar M, Piri SM, Mehrabinejad MM, Mousavi MS, Meknatkhah S, Fattahi MR, Kavyani Z, Hajighadery A, Kaveh M, Aryannejad A, Ghafouri M, Jamshidi E, Rezwanifar MM, Sadeghi-Naini M, Bari A, Sharif-Alhoseini M. Biofluid Biomarkers in Traumatic Brain Injury: A Systematic Scoping Review.. Neurocritical care, 2021.
- Kashanian A, DiCesare JAT, Rohatgi P, Albano L, Krahl SE, Bari A, De Salles A, Pouratian N. Case Series: Deep Brain Stimulation for Facial Pain.. Operative neurosurgery (Hagerstown, Md.), 2020.
- Tadayonnejad R, Wilson AC, Corlier J, Lee JC, Ginder ND, Levitt JG, Wilke SA, Marder KG, Krantz D, Bari AA, Feusner JD, Pouratian N, Leuchter AF. Sequential multi-locus transcranial magnetic stimulation for treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder with comorbid major depression: A case series.. Brain stimulation, 2020.
- Murray SB, Strober M, Tadayonnejad R, Bari AA, Feusner JD. Neurosurgery and neuromodulation for anorexia nervosa in the 21st century: a systematic review of treatment outcomes.. Eating disorders, 2020.
- Bari AA, Sparks H, Levinson S, Wilson B, London ED, Langevin JP, Pouratian N. Amygdala Structural Connectivity Is Associated With Impulsive Choice and Difficulty Quitting Smoking.. Frontiers in behavioral neuroscience, 2020.
- Sparks H, Riskin-Jones H, Price C, DiCesare J, Bari A, Hashoush N, Pouratian N. Impulsivity Relates to Relative Preservation of Mesolimbic Connectivity in Patients with Parkinson Disease.. NeuroImage. Clinical, 2020.
- Lai G, Langevin JP, Koek RJ, Krahl SE, Bari AA, Chen JWY. Acute Effects and the Dreamy State Evoked by Deep Brain Electrical Stimulation of the Amygdala: Associations of the Amygdala in Human Dreaming, Consciousness, Emotions, and Creativity.. Frontiers in human neuroscience, 2020.
- Albano L, Rohatgi P, Kashanian A, Bari A, Pouratian N. Symptomatic Pneumocephalus after Deep Brain Stimulation Surgery: Report of 2 Cases.. Stereotactic and functional neurosurgery, 2020.
- Avecillas-Chasin JM, Justo M, Levinson S, Koek R, Krahl SE, Chen JW, Lee SJ, Langevin JP, Bari A. Structural correlates of emotional response to electrical stimulation of the amygdala in subjects with PTSD.. Brain stimulation, 2019.
- Bari A, DiCesare J, Babayan D, Runcie M, Sparks H, Wilson B. Neuromodulation for substance addiction in human subjects: A review.. Neuroscience and biobehavioral reviews, 2018.
- Bari AA, Mikell CB, Abosch A, Ben-Haim S, Buchanan RJ, Burton AW, Carcieri S, Cosgrove GR, D'Haese PF, Daskalakis ZJ, Eskandar EN, Gerrard JL, Goodman WK, Greenberg BD, Gross RE, Hamani C, Kiss ZHT, Konrad P, Kopell BH, Krinke L, Langevin JP, Lozano AM, Malone D, Mayberg HS, Miller JP, Patil PG, Peichel D, Petersen EA, Rezai AR, Richardson RM, Riva-Posse P, Sankar T, Schwalb JM, Simpson HB, Slavin K, Stypulkowski PH, Tosteson T, Warnke P, Willie JT, Zaghloul KA, Neimat JS, Pouratian N, Sheth SA. Charting the road forward in psychiatric neurosurgery: proceedings of the 2016 American Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery workshop on neuromodulation for psychiatric disorders.. Journal of neurology, neurosurgery, and psychiatry, 2018.
- Bari AA, Thum J, Babayan D, Lozano AM. Current and Expected Advances in Deep Brain Stimulation for Movement Disorders.. Progress in neurological surgery, 2018.
- King NKK, Krishna V, Sammartino F, Bari A, Reddy GD, Hodaie M, Kalia SK, Fasano A, Munhoz RP, Lozano AM, Hamani C. Anatomic Targeting of the Optimal Location for Thalamic Deep Brain Stimulation in Patients with Essential Tremor.. World neurosurgery, 2017.
- Alomar S, King NK, Tam J, Bari AA, Hamani C, Lozano AM. Speech and language adverse effects after thalamotomy and deep brain stimulation in patients with movement disorders: A meta-analysis.. Movement disorders : official journal of the Movement Disorder Society, 2017.
- Pelargos PE, Nagasawa DT, Lagman C, Tenn S, Demos JV, Lee SJ, Bui TT, Barnette NE, Bhatt NS, Ung N, Bari A, Martin NA, Yang I. Utilizing virtual and augmented reality for educational and clinical enhancements in neurosurgery.. Journal of clinical neuroscience : official journal of the Neurosurgical Society of Australasia, 2016.
- Mirzadeh Z, Bari A, Lozano AM. The rationale for deep brain stimulation in Alzheimer's disease.. Journal of neural transmission (Vienna, Austria : 1996), 2015.
- Bari AA, Fasano A, Munhoz RP, Lozano AM. Improving outcomes of subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation in Parkinson's disease.. Expert review of neurotherapeutics, 2015.
- McLaughlin N, Martin NA, Upadhyaya P, Bari AA, Buxey F, Wang MB, Heaney AP, Bergsneider M. Assessing the cost of contemporary pituitary care.. Neurosurgical focus, 2014.
- Clelland CD, Zheng Z, Kim W, Bari A, Pouratian N. Common cerebral networks associated with distinct deep brain stimulation targets for cluster headache.. Cephalalgia : an international journal of headache, 2013.
- Bari A, Niu T, Langevin JP, Fried I. Limbic neuromodulation: implications for addiction, posttraumatic stress disorder, and memory.. Neurosurgery clinics of North America, 2013.
- Bari AA, Pouratian N. Brain imaging correlates of peripheral nerve stimulation.. Surgical neurology international, 2012.
- Pezeshkian P, DeSalles AA, Gorgulho A, Behnke E, McArthur D, Bari A. Accuracy of frame-based stereotactic magnetic resonance imaging vs frame-based stereotactic head computed tomography fused with recent magnetic resonance imaging for postimplantation deep brain stimulator lead localization.. Neurosurgery, 2011.
- Pouratian N, Zheng Z, Bari AA, Behnke E, Elias WJ, Desalles AA. Multi-institutional evaluation of deep brain stimulation targeting using probabilistic connectivity-based thalamic segmentation.. Journal of neurosurgery, 2011.
- Bari AA, Hauptman JS. From the bench to the bedside: Gene therapy for Parkinson's disease, The roles of the habenula and nucleus accumbens in depression, Microglia and neurodegeneration.. Surgical neurology international, 2011.
- Sedrak M, Gorgulho A, Bari A, Behnke E, Frew A, Gevorkyan I, Pouratian N, DeSalles A. Diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) and colored fractional anisotropy (FA) mapping of the subthalamic nucleus (STN) and the globus pallidus interna (GPi).. Acta neurochirurgica, 2010.