Bruce H Dobkin
Professor of Clinical , Neurology, University of California Los Angeles
710 Westwood Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Outpatient Neurology Clinic
300 Medical Plaza
Honorary Fellow, Royal College of Physicians, London, 2005
Editor-in-Chief, journal Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair, 2006 – present
Irwin Levy Lectureship, Washington University School of Medicine, 2006.
Kenneth Viste Memorial Research Award for contributions to neurorehabilitation research and care, American Society of NeuroRehabilitation, 2006.
International Furst von Donnersmarck Prize for lifetime achievement in neurologic rehabilitation research, Berlin, 2006.
Executive Director; scientific officer for neural repair program, Dr. Miriam and Sheldon G. Adelson Medical Research Foundation, 2006-09.
- Kwakkel G, Dobkin BH. Vagus Nerve Stimulation for Upper Limb Function: Significant Difference, but Clinically Important?. Stroke, 2021.
- Kalra L, Dobkin BH. Facilitating Mental Imagery to Improve Mobility After Stroke: All in the Head.. Neurology, 2021.
- Dobkin BH. The insidious impact of under-diagnosed proximal weakness induced by statins.. Expert review of neurotherapeutics, 2020.
- Cudkowicz M, Chase MK, Coffey CS, Ecklund DJ, Thornell BJ, Lungu C, Mahoney K, Gutmann L, Shefner JM, Staley KJ, Bosch M, Foster E, Long JD, Bayman EO, Torner J, Yankey J, Peters R, Huff T, Conwit RA, NeuroNEXT Clinical Study Sites , Shinnar S, Patch D, Darras BT, Ellis A, Packer RJ, Marder KS, Chiriboga CA, Henchcliffe C, Moran JA, Nikolov B, Factor SA, Seeley C, Greenberg SM, Amato AA, DeGregorio S, Simuni T, Ward T, Kissel JT, Kolb SJ, Bartlett A, Quinn JF, Keith K, Levine SR, Gilles N, Coyle PK, Lamb J, Wolfe GI, Crumlish A, Mejico L, Iqbal MM, Bowen JD, Tongco C, Nabors LB, Bashir K, Benge M, McDonald CM, Henricson EK, Oskarsson B, Dobkin BH, Canamar C, Glauser TA, Woo D, Molloy A, Clark P, Vollmer TL, Stein AJ, Barohn RJ, Dimachkie MM, Le Pichon JB, Benatar MG, Steele J, Wechsler L, Clemens PR, Amity C, Holloway RG, Annis C, Goldberg MP, Andersen M, Iannaccone ST, Smith AG, Singleton JR, Doudova M, Haley EC, Quigg MS, Lowenhaupt S, Malow BA, Adkins K, Clifford DB, Teshome MA, Connolly N. Seven-Year Experience From the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke-Supported Network for Excellence in Neuroscience Clinical Trials.. JAMA neurology, 2020.
- Dobkin BH. Provocative Walking Test of Strength for Diagnosis, Management, and Outcome Assessment of Symptomatic Lumbar Spinal Stenosis.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2019.
- Silverstein J, Cortes M, Tsagaris KZ, Climent A, Gerber LM, Oromendia C, Fonzetti P, Ratan RR, Kitago T, Iacoboni M, Wu A, Dobkin B, Edwards DJ. Paired Associative Stimulation as a Tool to Assess Plasticity Enhancers in Chronic Stroke.. Frontiers in neuroscience, 2019.
- Arac A, Zhao P, Dobkin BH, Carmichael ST, Golshani P. DeepBehavior: A Deep Learning Toolbox for Automated Analysis of Animal and Human Behavior Imaging Data.. Frontiers in systems neuroscience, 2019.
- Dobkin BH, Martinez C. Wearable Sensors to Monitor, Enable Feedback, and Measure Outcomes of Activity and Practice.. Current neurology and neuroscience reports, 2018.
- Shen Y, Ma J, Dobkin B, Rosen J. Asymmetric Dual Arm Approach For Post Stroke Recovery Of Motor Functions Utilizing The EXO-UL8 Exoskeleton System: A Pilot Study.. Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. Annual International Conference, 2018.
- Siddarth P, Rahi B, Emerson ND, Burggren AC, Miller KJ, Bookheimer S, Lavretsky H, Dobkin B, Small G, Merrill DA. Physical Activity and Hippocampal Sub-Region Structure in Older Adults with Memory Complaints.. Journal of Alzheimer's disease : JAD, 2018.
- Rose DK, Nadeau SE, Wu SS, Tilson JK, Dobkin BH, Pei Q, Duncan PW. Locomotor Training and Strength and Balance Exercises for Walking Recovery After Stroke: Response to Number of Training Sessions.. Physical therapy, 2017.
- Dobkin BH, Dorsch AK. The Evolution of Personalized Behavioral Intervention Technology: Will It Change How We Measure or Deliver Rehabilitation?. Stroke, 2017.
- Dobkin BH. Behavioral self-management strategies for practice and exercise should be included in neurologic rehabilitation trials and care.. Current opinion in neurology, 2016.
- Dobkin BH. Neurorehabilitation interventions to move beyond a plateau in motor outcomes.. Current opinion in neurology, 2016.
- Dobkin BH. A Rehabilitation-Internet-of-Things in the Home to Augment Motor Skills and Exercise Training.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2016.
- Nadeau SE, Dobkin B, Wu SS, Pei Q, Duncan PW, LEAPS Investigative Team . The Effects of Stroke Type, Locus, and Extent on Long-Term Outcome of Gait Rehabilitation: The LEAPS Experience.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2015.
- Dobkin BH, Carmichael ST. The Specific Requirements of Neural Repair Trials for Stroke.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2015.
- Xu JY, Wang Y, Barrett M, Dobkin B, Pottie GJ, Kaiser WJ. Personalized Multilayer Daily Life Profiling Through Context Enabled Activity Classification and Motion Reconstruction: An Integrated System Approach.. IEEE journal of biomedical and health informatics, 2014.
- Dorsch AK, Thomas S, Xu X, Kaiser W, Dobkin BH, SIRRACT investigators . SIRRACT: An International Randomized Clinical Trial of Activity Feedback During Inpatient Stroke Rehabilitation Enabled by Wireless Sensing.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2014.
- Nadeau SE, Rose DK, Dobkin B, Wu SS, Dai YE, Schofield R, Duncan PW, LEAPS Investigative Team . Likelihood of myocardial infarction during stroke rehabilitation preceded by cardiovascular screening and an exercise tolerance test: the Locomotor Experience Applied Post-Stroke (LEAPS) trial.. International journal of stroke : official journal of the International Stroke Society, 2014.
- Burke E, Dobkin BH, Noser EA, Enney LA, Cramer SC. Predictors and biomarkers of treatment gains in a clinical stroke trial targeting the lower extremity.. Stroke, 2014.
- Dobkin BH, Nadeau SE, Behrman AL, Wu SS, Rose DK, Bowden M, Studenski S, Lu X, Duncan PW. Prediction of responders for outcome measures of locomotor Experience Applied Post Stroke trial.. Journal of rehabilitation research and development, 2014.
- Dobkin BH. The evolution of neurorehabilitation and neural repair.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2014.
- Dobkin BH. Wearable motion sensors to continuously measure real-world physical activities.. Current opinion in neurology, 2013.
- Dobkin BH, Dorsch A. New evidence for therapies in stroke rehabilitation.. Current atherosclerosis reports, 2013.
- Nadeau SE, Wu SS, Dobkin BH, Azen SP, Rose DK, Tilson JK, Cen SY, Duncan PW, LEAPS Investigative Team . Effects of task-specific and impairment-based training compared with usual care on functional walking ability after inpatient stroke rehabilitation: LEAPS Trial.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2013.
- Nadeau SE, Lu X, Dobkin B, Wu SS, Dai YE, Duncan PW, LEAPS Investigative Team . A prospective test of the late effects of potentially antineuroplastic drugs in a stroke rehabilitation study.. International journal of stroke : official journal of the International Stroke Society, 2012.
- Dobkin BH, Elashoff R. Quasi-experimental study of weight-supported treadmill training for myelopathy.. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation, 2012.
- Dobkin BH, Duncan PW. Should body weight-supported treadmill training and robotic-assistive steppers for locomotor training trot back to the starting gate?. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2012.
- Dobkin BH, Dorsch A. The promise of mHealth: daily activity monitoring and outcome assessments by wearable sensors.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2011.
- Dobkin BH, Xu X, Batalin M, Thomas S, Kaiser W. Reliability and validity of bilateral ankle accelerometer algorithms for activity recognition and walking speed after stroke.. Stroke, 2011.
- Duncan PW, Sullivan KJ, Behrman AL, Azen SP, Wu SS, Nadeau SE, Dobkin BH, Rose DK, Tilson JK, Cen S, Hayden SK, LEAPS Investigative Team . Body-weight-supported treadmill rehabilitation after stroke.. The New England journal of medicine, 2011.
- Cramer SC, Sur M, Dobkin BH, O'Brien C, Sanger TD, Trojanowski JQ, Rumsey JM, Hicks R, Cameron J, Chen D, Chen WG, Cohen LG, deCharms C, Duffy CJ, Eden GF, Fetz EE, Filart R, Freund M, Grant SJ, Haber S, Kalivas PW, Kolb B, Kramer AF, Lynch M, Mayberg HS, McQuillen PS, Nitkin R, Pascual-Leone A, Reuter-Lorenz P, Schiff N, Sharma A, Shekim L, Stryker M, Sullivan EV, Vinogradov S. Harnessing neuroplasticity for clinical applications.. Brain : a journal of neurology, 2011.
- Dobkin BH. Recommendations for publishing case studies of cell transplantation for spinal cord injury.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2010.
- Dobkin BH. Does spasticity itself raise the cost of stroke care 4-fold?. Stroke, 2010.
- Dobkin BH, Plummer-D'Amato P, Elashoff R, Lee J, SIRROWS Group . International randomized clinical trial, stroke inpatient rehabilitation with reinforcement of walking speed (SIRROWS), improves outcomes.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2010.
- Dobkin BH. What matters in cellular transplantation for spinal cord injury: the cells, the rehabilitation, or the best mix?. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2010.
- Dobkin BH. Motor rehabilitation after stroke, traumatic brain, and spinal cord injury: common denominators within recent clinical trials.. Current opinion in neurology, 2009.
- Dobkin BH, Landau WM, Sahrmann S, Thomas Thach W, Simpson DM, Gracies JM, Graham K, Hallett M, Miyasaki J, Naumann M, Russman B, Simpson L, So Y. Assessment: botulinum neurotoxin for the treatment of spasticity (an evidence-based review).. Neurology, 2009.
- Dobkin BH. Collaborative models for translational neuroscience and rehabilitation research.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2009.
- Cramer SC, Dobkin BH, Noser EA, Rodriguez RW, Enney LA. Randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study of ropinirole in chronic stroke.. Stroke, 2009.
- Dobkin BH. Progressive Staging of Pilot Studies to Improve Phase III Trials for Motor Interventions.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2009.
- Cumberland Consensus Working Group , Cheeran B, Cohen L, Dobkin B, Ford G, Greenwood R, Howard D, Husain M, Macleod M, Nudo R, Rothwell J, Rudd A, Teo J, Ward N, Wolf S. The future of restorative neurosciences in stroke: driving the translational research pipeline from basic science to rehabilitation of people after stroke.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2009.
- Dong Y, Holly LT, Albistegui-Dubois R, Yan X, Marehbian J, Newton JM, Dobkin BH. Compensatory cerebral adaptations before and evolving changes after surgical decompression in cervical spondylotic myelopathy.. Journal of neurosurgery. Spine, 2008.
- Newton JM, Dong Y, Hidler J, Plummer-D'Amato P, Marehbian J, Albistegui-Dubois RM, Woods RP, Dobkin BH. Reliable assessment of lower limb motor representations with fMRI: use of a novel MR compatible device for real-time monitoring of ankle, knee and hip torques.. NeuroImage, 2008.
- Dimyan MA, Dobkin BH, Cohen LG. Emerging subspecialties: neurorehabilitation: training neurologists to retrain the brain.. Neurology, 2008.
- Dobkin BH. Fatigue versus activity-dependent fatigability in patients with central or peripheral motor impairments.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2008.
- Dobkin BH. Training and exercise to drive poststroke recovery.. Nature clinical practice. Neurology, 2008.
- Regnaux JP, Saremi K, Marehbian J, Bussel B, Dobkin BH. An accelerometry-based comparison of 2 robotic assistive devices for treadmill training of gait.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2007.
- Duncan PW, Sullivan KJ, Behrman AL, Azen SP, Wu SS, Nadeau SE, Dobkin BH, Rose DK, Tilson JK, LEAPS Investigative Team . Protocol for the Locomotor Experience Applied Post-stroke (LEAPS) trial: a randomized controlled trial.. BMC neurology, 2007.
- Dobkin BH. Curiosity and cure: translational research strategies for neural repair-mediated rehabilitation.. Developmental neurobiology, 2007.
- Holly LT, Dong Y, Albistegui-DuBois R, Marehbian J, Dobkin B. Cortical reorganization in patients with cervical spondylotic myelopathy.. Journal of neurosurgery. Spine, 2007.
- Ditunno JF, Barbeau H, Dobkin BH, Elashoff R, Harkema S, Marino RJ, Hauck WW, Apple D, Basso DM, Behrman A, Deforge D, Fugate L, Saulino M, Scott M, Chung J, Spinal Cord Injury Locomotor Trial Group . Validity of the walking scale for spinal cord injury and other domains of function in a multicenter clinical trial.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2007.
- Dong Y, Winstein CJ, Albistegui-DuBois R, Dobkin BH. Evolution of FMRI activation in the perilesional primary motor cortex and cerebellum with rehabilitation training-related motor gains after stroke: a pilot study.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2007.
- de Bode S, Mathern GW, Bookheimer S, Dobkin B. Locomotor training remodels fMRI sensorimotor cortical activations in children after cerebral hemispherectomy.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2007.
- Dobkin BH. Interpreting the randomized clinical trial of constraint-induced movement therapy.. Archives of neurology, 2007.
- Dobkin BH. Behavioral, temporal, and spatial targets for cellular transplants as adjuncts to rehabilitation for stroke.. Stroke, 2007.
- Dobkin BH. Confounders in rehabilitation trials of task-oriented training: lessons from the designs of the EXCITE and SCILT multicenter trials.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2007.
- Dobkin B, Barbeau H, Deforge D, Ditunno J, Elashoff R, Apple D, Basso M, Behrman A, Harkema S, Saulino M, Scott M, Spinal Cord Injury Locomotor Trial Group . The evolution of walking-related outcomes over the first 12 weeks of rehabilitation for incomplete traumatic spinal cord injury: the multicenter randomized Spinal Cord Injury Locomotor Trial.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2007.
- Dobkin BH. Brain-computer interface technology as a tool to augment plasticity and outcomes for neurological rehabilitation.. The Journal of physiology, 2006.
- Saremi K, Marehbian J, Yan X, Regnaux JP, Elashoff R, Bussel B, Dobkin BH. Reliability and validity of bilateral thigh and foot accelerometry measures of walking in healthy and hemiparetic subjects.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2006.
- Dong Y, Dobkin BH, Cen SY, Wu AD, Winstein CJ. Motor cortex activation during treatment may predict therapeutic gains in paretic hand function after stroke.. Stroke, 2006.
- Dobkin BH. A journal for translational neuroscience for rehabilitation.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2006.
- Dobkin BH, Curt A, Guest J. Cellular transplants in China: observational study from the largest human experiment in chronic spinal cord injury.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2006.
- Dobkin BH. Short-distance walking speed and timed walking distance: redundant measures for clinical trials?. Neurology, 2006.
- Dobkin B, Apple D, Barbeau H, Basso M, Behrman A, Deforge D, Ditunno J, Dudley G, Elashoff R, Fugate L, Harkema S, Saulino M, Scott M, Spinal Cord Injury Locomotor Trial Group . Weight-supported treadmill vs over-ground training for walking after acute incomplete SCI.. Neurology, 2006.
- Hidler J, Hodics T, Xu B, Dobkin B, Cohen LG. MR compatible force sensing system for real-time monitoring of wrist moments during fMRI testing.. Journal of neuroscience methods, 2006.
- Dobkin BH. Rehabilitation and functional neuroimaging dose-response trajectories for clinical trials.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2005.
- Dobkin BH. Underappreciated statin-induced myopathic weakness causes disability.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2005.
- Dobkin BH. Clinical practice. Rehabilitation after stroke.. The New England journal of medicine, 2005.
- Koski L, Dobkin BH. Standardizing and validating transcranial magnetic stimulation measures for use in stroke rehabilitation research.. Clinical neurophysiology : official journal of the International Federation of Clinical Neurophysiology, 2005.
- de Bode S, Firestine A, Mathern GW, Dobkin B. Residual motor control and cortical representations of function following hemispherectomy: effects of etiology.. Journal of child neurology, 2005.
- Koski L, Mernar TJ, Dobkin BH. Immediate and long-term changes in corticomotor output in response to rehabilitation: correlation with functional improvements in chronic stroke.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2004.
- Dobkin BH. Neurobiology of rehabilitation.. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 2004.
- Dobkin BH, Firestine A, West M, Saremi K, Woods R. Ankle dorsiflexion as an fMRI paradigm to assay motor control for walking during rehabilitation.. NeuroImage, 2004.
- Dobkin BH. Strategies for stroke rehabilitation.. The Lancet. Neurology, 2004.
- Dobkin BH, Havton LA. Basic advances and new avenues in therapy of spinal cord injury.. Annual review of medicine, 2004.
- Baron JC, Cohen LG, Cramer SC, Dobkin BH, Johansen-Berg H, Loubinoux I, Marshall RS, Ward NS, First International Workshop on Neuroimaging and Stroke Recovery . Neuroimaging in stroke recovery: a position paper from the First International Workshop on Neuroimaging and Stroke Recovery.. Cerebrovascular diseases (Basel, Switzerland), 2004.
- Dobkin BH. Do electrically stimulated sensory inputs and movements lead to long-term plasticity and rehabilitation gains?. Current opinion in neurology, 2003.
- Dobkin BH, Apple D, Barbeau H, Basso M, Behrman A, Deforge D, Ditunno J, Dudley G, Elashoff R, Fugate L, Harkema S, Saulino M, Scott M. Methods for a randomized trial of weight-supported treadmill training versus conventional training for walking during inpatient rehabilitation after incomplete traumatic spinal cord injury.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2003.
- Vaughan TM, Heetderks WJ, Trejo LJ, Rymer WZ, Weinrich M, Moore MM, Kübler A, Dobkin BH, Birbaumer N, Donchin E, Wolpaw EW, Wolpaw JR. Brain-computer interface technology: a review of the Second International Meeting.. IEEE transactions on neural systems and rehabilitation engineering : a publication of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 2003.
- Dobkin BH. Functional MRI: a potential physiologic indicator for stroke rehabilitation interventions.. Stroke, 2003.
- Dobkin BH. Botulinum toxin for spasticity after stroke.. The New England journal of medicine, 2003.
- Sullivan KJ, Knowlton BJ, Dobkin BH. Step training with body weight support: effect of treadmill speed and practice paradigms on poststroke locomotor recovery.. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation, 2002.