Catherine Marie Cahill
Professor-in-Residence, Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California Los Angeles
675 Charles E Young Drive South, Office 2760/lab 2609
Mail Code: 175919
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Catherine M. Cahill, Ph.D. trained as an opioid neuropharmaoclogist at Dalhousie University, Canada receiving her PhD in 1996. She was recruited to the Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Care at University of California Irvine in 2012 from Queen’s University in Canada where she held a Canada Research Chair in Chronic Pain for 10 years. She moved to UCLA in 2017 and is now a Professor in the Department of Psychiatry & Biobehavioral Sciences and a member of the Hatos Center for Neuropharmacology at the University of California Los Angeles.
She has more than 25 years experience in research that focuses on understanding mechanisms of chronic pain and opioid analgesia, tolerance, dependence and addiction. Her research spans both basic science and human research, which focuses on how chronic pain states modulate reward circuitry and changes dopaminergic transmission responsible for motivated behavior. A large emphasis of her research focuses on understanding the processes that influence the positive and negative reinforcement and changes in mesolimbic circuitry in order to identify novel treatment strategies for opioid dependence and chronic pain.
Dr. Cahill’s research is supported by the National Institutes of Drug abuse, the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, the National Institute of Aging, the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, the Department of Defense and the Shirley and Stefan Hatos Foundation.
- Wang W, Schuette PJ, Nagai J, Tobias BC, Cuccovia V Reis FM, Ji S, de Lima MAX, La-Vu MQ, Maesta-Pereira S, Chakerian M, Leonard SJ, Lin L, Severino AL, Cahill CM, Canteras NS, Khakh BS, Kao JC, Adhikari A. Coordination of escape and spatial navigation circuits orchestrates versatile flight from threats.. Neuron, 2021.
- Cahill C, Tejeda HA, Spetea M, Chen C, Liu-Chen LY. Fundamentals of the Dynorphins/Kappa Opioid Receptor System: From Distribution to Signaling and Function.. Handbook of experimental pharmacology, 2021.
- Wilson-Poe AR, Wiese B, Kibaly C, Lueptow L, Garcia J, Anand P, Cahill C, Morón JA. Effects of inflammatory pain on CB1 receptor in the midbrain periaqueductal gray.. Pain reports, 2021.
- Cahill CM, Lueptow L, Kim H, Shusharla R, Bishop A, Evans CJ. Kappa Opioid Signaling at the Crossroads of Chronic Pain and Opioid Addiction.. Handbook of experimental pharmacology, 2021.
- Massaly N, Markovic T, Creed M, Al-Hasani R, Cahill CM, Moron JA. Pain, negative affective states and opioid-based analgesics: Safer pain therapies to dampen addiction.. International review of neurobiology, 2021.
- Kibaly C, Alderete JA, Liu SH, Nasef HS, Law PY, Evans CJ, Cahill CM. Oxycodone in the Opioid Epidemic: High 'Liking', 'Wanting', and Abuse Liability.. Cellular and molecular neurobiology, 2020.
- Nieto SJ, Green R, Grodin EN, Cahill CM, Ray LA. Pain catastrophizing predicts alcohol craving in heavy drinkers independent of pain intensity.. Drug and alcohol dependence, 2020.
- Lueptow LM, Shashkova EC, Miller MG, Evans CJ, Cahill CM. Insights into the Neurobiology of Craving in Opioid Use Disorder.. Current anesthesiology reports, 2020.
- Severino AL, Mittal N, Hakimian JK, Velarde N, Minasyan A, Albert R, Torres C, Romaneschi N, Johnston C, Tiwari S, Lee AS, Taylor AM, Gavériaux-Ruff C, Kieffer BL, Evans CJ, Cahill CM, Walwyn WM. μ-Opioid Receptors on Distinct Neuronal Populations Mediate Different Aspects of Opioid Reward-Related Behaviors.. eNeuro, 2020.
- Huang AY, Taylor AMW, Ghogha A, Pribadi M, Wang Q, Kim TSJ, Cahill CM, Coppola G, Evans CJ. Genetic and functional analysis of a Pacific hagfish opioid system.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2020.
- Cahill CM, Holdridge SV, Liu SS, Xue L, Magnussen C, Ong E, Grenier P, Sutherland A, Olmstead MC. Delta opioid receptor activation modulates affective pain and modality-specific pain hypersensitivity associated with chronic neuropathic pain.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2020.
- Cahill CM. Opioid dose regimen shapes mesolimbic adaptations.. Neuropsychopharmacology : official publication of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, 2020.
- Massaly N, Copits BA, Wilson-Poe AR, Hipólito L, Markovic T, Yoon HJ, Liu S, Walicki MC, Bhatti DL, Sirohi S, Klaas A, Walker BM, Neve R, Cahill CM, Shoghi KI, Gereau RW, McCall JG, Al-Hasani R, Bruchas MR, Morón JA. Pain-Induced Negative Affect Is Mediated via Recruitment of The Nucleus Accumbens Kappa Opioid System.. Neuron, 2019.
- Liu SS, Pickens S, Burma NE, Ibarra-Lecue I, Yang H, Xue L, Cook C, Hakimian JK, Severino AL, Lueptow L, Komarek K, Taylor AMW, Olmstead MC, Carroll FI, Bass CE, Andrews AM, Walwyn W, Trang T, Evans CJ, Leslie FM, Cahill CM. Kappa Opioid Receptors Drive a Tonic Aversive Component of Chronic Pain.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2019.
- Kibaly C, Xu C, Cahill CM, Evans CJ, Law PY. Non-nociceptive roles of opioids in the CNS: opioids' effects on neurogenesis, learning, memory and affect.. Nature reviews. Neuroscience, 2019.
- Cahill CM, Ong E. Evidence and Function Relevance of Native DOR-MOR Heteromers.. Handbook of experimental pharmacology, 2018.
- Cahill CM, Taylor AM. Neuroinflammation-a co-occurring phenomenon linking chronic pain and opioid dependence.. Current opinion in behavioral sciences, 2017.
- Cahill CM, Walwyn W, Taylor AMW, Pradhan AAA, Evans CJ. Allostatic Mechanisms of Opioid Tolerance Beyond Desensitization and Downregulation.. Trends in pharmacological sciences, 2016.
- Taylor AM, Mehrabani S, Liu S, Taylor AJ, Cahill CM. Topography of microglial activation in sensory- and affect-related brain regions in chronic pain.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2016.
- Evans CJ, Cahill CM. Neurobiology of opioid dependence in creating addiction vulnerability.. F1000Research, 2016.
- Gendron L, Cahill CM, von Zastrow M, Schiller PW, Pineyro G. Molecular Pharmacology of δ-Opioid Receptors.. Pharmacological reviews, 2016.
- Taylor AMW, Becker S, Schweinhardt P, Cahill C. Mesolimbic dopamine signaling in acute and chronic pain: implications for motivation, analgesia, and addiction.. Pain, 2016.
- Taylor AM, Castonguay A, Ghogha A, Vayssiere P, Pradhan AA, Xue L, Mehrabani S, Wu J, Levitt P, Olmstead MC, De Koninck Y, Evans CJ, Cahill CM. Neuroimmune Regulation of GABAergic Neurons Within the Ventral Tegmental Area During Withdrawal from Chronic Morphine.. Neuropsychopharmacology : official publication of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, 2015.
- Ong E, Cahill C. Tracking Drug-induced Changes in Receptor Post-internalization Trafficking by Colocalizational Analysis.. Journal of visualized experiments : JoVE, 2015.
- Taylor AM, Castonguay A, Taylor AJ, Murphy NP, Ghogha A, Cook C, Xue L, Olmstead MC, De Koninck Y, Evans CJ, Cahill CM. Microglia disrupt mesolimbic reward circuitry in chronic pain.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2015.
- Cahill CM, Taylor AM, Cook C, Ong E, Morón JA, Evans CJ. Does the kappa opioid receptor system contribute to pain aversion?. Frontiers in pharmacology, 2014.
- Taylor AM, Murphy NP, Evans CJ, Cahill CM. Correlation between ventral striatal catecholamine content and nociceptive thresholds in neuropathic mice.. The journal of pain : official journal of the American Pain Society, 2014.
- Cahill CM, Cook C, Pickens S. Migraine and reward system-or is it aversive?. Current pain and headache reports, 2014.
- Ong EW, Cahill CM. Molecular Perspectives for mu/delta Opioid Receptor Heteromers as Distinct, Functional Receptors.. Cells, 2014.
- Mittal N, Roberts K, Pal K, Bentolila LA, Fultz E, Minasyan A, Cahill C, Pradhan A, Conner D, DeFea K, Evans C, Walwyn W. Select G-protein-coupled receptors modulate agonist-induced signaling via a ROCK, LIMK, and β-arrestin 1 pathway.. Cell reports, 2013.
- Gupta A, Mulder J, Gomes I, Rozenfeld R, Bushlin I, Ong E, Lim M, Maillet E, Junek M, Cahill CM, Harkany T, Devi LA. Increased abundance of opioid receptor heteromers after chronic morphine administration.. Science signaling, 2010.
- Holdridge SV, Cahill CM. Spinal administration of a delta opioid receptor agonist attenuates hyperalgesia and allodynia in a rat model of neuropathic pain.. European journal of pain (London, England), 2006.
- Morinville A, Cahill CM, Aibak H, Rymar VV, Pradhan A, Hoffert C, Mennicken F, Stroh T, Sadikot AF, O'Donnell D, Clarke PB, Collier B, Henry JL, Vincent JP, Beaudet A. Morphine-induced changes in delta opioid receptor trafficking are linked to somatosensory processing in the rat spinal cord.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2004.
- Morinville A, Cahill CM, Kieffer B, Collier B, Beaudet A. Mu-opioid receptor knockout prevents changes in delta-opioid receptor trafficking induced by chronic inflammatory pain.. Pain, 2004.
- Morinville A, Cahill CM, Esdaile MJ, Aibak H, Collier B, Kieffer BL, Beaudet A. Regulation of delta-opioid receptor trafficking via mu-opioid receptor stimulation: evidence from mu-opioid receptor knock-out mice.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2003.