Professor-in-Residence, Neurosurgery, University of California Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Mechanisms of Neural Repair Role of Trophic Factors on Activity-dependent Plasticity We are interested on the mechanisms by which environmental factors affect neuronal health. We have found that trophic factors endogenous to the brain and spinal cord can be induced by the practice of select behaviors. We have recently reported that physical activity, learning, and nutritional factors control neurotrophins in the brain. These findings opened the exciting possibility that regulation of trophic factors by behavior can be a pivotal mechanism by which specific experiences can impact the structure and function of the CNS. It may account for the improvement of CNS function after trauma provided by rehabilitative therapies. On the contrary, it may explain the decay in function in aging or degenerative diseases following a lack of stimulation. These two avenues provide direction for my research program: 1) How trophic factors induced by activity can help functional recovery following brain and spinal cord trauma. We are using several exercise models to boost the production of trophic factors in the brain and spinal cord. Our goal is to provide critical information to guide the design of behavioral therapies for the reduction of the severity of insult or disease, and to increase CNS function. 2) We are evaluating the effects of lifestyle on trophic factor production, with resulting effects on circuit remodeling, synaptic function, and cognition. We believe that changes in trophic factor as a result of select experiences can affect neuronal health with profound consequences for cognitive function.
- Wu Y, Wu H, Zeng J, Pluimer B, Dong S, Xie X, Guo X, Ge T, Liang X, Feng S, Yan Y, Chen JF, Sta Maria N, Ma Q, Gomez-Pinilla F, Zhao Z. Mild traumatic brain injury induces microvascular injury and accelerates Alzheimer-like pathogenesis in mice.. Acta neuropathologica communications, 2021.
- Gomez-Pinilla F, Cipolat RP, Royes LFF. Dietary fructose as a model to explore the influence of peripheral metabolism on brain function and plasticity.. Biochimica et biophysica acta. Molecular basis of disease, 2021.
- Palafox-Sánchez V, Ying Z, Royes LFF, Gomez-Pinilla F. The interaction between brain and liver regulates lipid metabolism in the TBI pathology.. Biochimica et biophysica acta. Molecular basis of disease, 2021.
- Zhang G, Meng Q, Blencowe M, Agrawal R, Gomez-Pinilla F, Yang X. Multi-Tissue Multi-Omics Nutrigenomics Indicates Context-Specific Effects of Docosahexaenoic Acid on Rat Brain.. Molecular nutrition & food research, 2020.
- Ahn IS, Lang JM, Olson CA, Diamante G, Zhang G, Ying Z, Byun HR, Cely I, Ding J, Cohn P, Kurtz I, Gomez-Pinilla F, Lusis AJ, Hsiao EY, Yang X. Host Genetic Background and Gut Microbiota Contribute to Differential Metabolic Responses to Fructose Consumption in Mice.. The Journal of nutrition, 2020.
- Johnson RJ, Gomez-Pinilla F, Nagel M, Nakagawa T, Rodriguez-Iturbe B, Sanchez-Lozada LG, Tolan DR, Lanaspa MA. Cerebral Fructose Metabolism as a Potential Mechanism Driving Alzheimer's Disease.. Frontiers in aging neuroscience, 2020.
- Zhang G, Byun HR, Ying Z, Blencowe M, Zhao Y, Hong J, Shu L, Chella Krishnan K, Gomez-Pinilla F, Yang X. Differential metabolic and multi-tissue transcriptomic responses to fructose consumption among genetically diverse mice.. Biochimica et biophysica acta. Molecular basis of disease, 2019.
- Serra FT, Carvalho AD, Araujo BHS, Torres LB, Cardoso FDS, Henrique JS, Placencia EVD, Lent R, Gomez-Pinilla F, Arida RM, Gomes da Silva S. Early exercise induces long-lasting morphological changes in cortical and hippocampal neurons throughout of a sedentary period of rats.. Scientific reports, 2019.
- Rege SD, Royes L, Tsai B, Zhang G, Yang X, Gomez-Pinilla F. Brain Trauma Disrupts Hepatic Lipid Metabolism: Blame It on Fructose?. Molecular nutrition & food research, 2019.
- Krishna G, Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F. Blueberry Supplementation Mitigates Altered Brain Plasticity and Behavior after Traumatic Brain Injury in Rats.. Molecular nutrition & food research, 2019.
- Royes LFF, Gomez-Pinilla F. Making sense of gut feelings in the traumatic brain injury pathogenesis.. Neuroscience and biobehavioral reviews, 2019.
- Ying Z, Byun HR, Meng Q, Noble E, Zhang G, Yang X, Gomez-Pinilla F. Biglycan gene connects metabolic dysfunction with brain disorder.. Biochimica et biophysica acta. Molecular basis of disease, 2018.
- Arneson D, Zhang G, Ying Z, Zhuang Y, Byun HR, Ahn IS, Gomez-Pinilla F, Yang X. Single cell molecular alterations reveal target cells and pathways of concussive brain injury.. Nature communications, 2018.
- Gomez-Pinilla F, Yang X. System biology approach intersecting diet and cell metabolism with pathogenesis of brain disorders.. Progress in neurobiology, 2018.
- Jiménez-Maldonado A, Ying Z, Byun HR, Gomez-Pinilla F. Short-term fructose ingestion affects the brain independently from establishment of metabolic syndrome.. Biochimica et biophysica acta. Molecular basis of disease, 2017.
- Victorino AB, Serra FT, Piñero PP, de Almeida AA, Lopim GM, Matias Junior I, Machado HR, Lent R, Cabral FR, Gomez-Pinilla F, Arida RM, Gomes da Silva S. Aerobic exercise in adolescence results in an increase of neuronal and non-neuronal cells and in mTOR overexpression in the cerebral cortex of rats.. Neuroscience, 2017.
- Fernandes J, Arida RM, Gomez-Pinilla F. Physical exercise as an epigenetic modulator of brain plasticity and cognition.. Neuroscience and biobehavioral reviews, 2017.
- Hakimian J, Minasyan A, Zhe-Ying L, Loureiro M, Beltrand A, Johnston C, Vorperian A, Romaneschi N, Atallah W, Gomez-Pinilla F, Walwyn W. Specific behavioral and cellular adaptations induced by chronic morphine are reduced by dietary omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids.. PloS one, 2017.
- Krishna G, Agrawal R, Zhuang Y, Ying Z, Paydar A, Harris NG, Royes LFF, Gomez-Pinilla F. 7,8-Dihydroxyflavone facilitates the action exercise to restore plasticity and functionality: Implications for early brain trauma recovery.. Biochimica et biophysica acta. Molecular basis of disease, 2017.
- Meng Q, Zhuang Y, Ying Z, Agrawal R, Yang X, Gomez-Pinilla F. Traumatic Brain Injury Induces Genome-Wide Transcriptomic, Methylomic, and Network Perturbations in Brain and Blood Predicting Neurological Disorders.. EBioMedicine, 2017.
- Carlin JL, Grissom N, Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F, Reyes TM. Voluntary exercise blocks Western diet-induced gene expression of the chemokines CXCL10 and CCL2 in the prefrontal cortex.. Brain, behavior, and immunity, 2016.
- Krityakiarana W, Zhao PM, Nguyen K, Gomez-Pinilla F, Kotchabhakdi N, de Vellis J, Espinosa-Jeffrey A. Erratum to: Proof-of Concept that an Acute Trophic Factors Intervention After Spinal Cord Injury Provides an Adequate Niche for Neuroprotection, Recruitment of Nestin-Expressing Progenitors and Regeneration.. Neurochemical research, 2016.
- Meng Q, Ying Z, Noble E, Zhao Y, Agrawal R, Mikhail A, Zhuang Y, Tyagi E, Zhang Q, Lee JH, Morselli M, Orozco L, Guo W, Kilts TM, Zhu J, Zhang B, Pellegrini M, Xiao X, Young MF, Gomez-Pinilla F, Yang X. Systems Nutrigenomics Reveals Brain Gene Networks Linking Metabolic and Brain Disorders.. EBioMedicine, 2016.
- Krityakiarana W, Zhao PM, Nguyen K, Gomez-Pinilla F, Kotchabhakdi N, de Vellis J, Espinosa-Jeffrey A. Proof-of Concept that an Acute Trophic Factors Intervention After Spinal Cord Injury Provides an Adequate Niche for Neuroprotection, Recruitment of Nestin-Expressing Progenitors and Regeneration.. Neurochemical research, 2016.
- Yoon H, Kleven A, Paulsen A, Kleppe L, Wu J, Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F, Scarisbrick IA. Interplay between exercise and dietary fat modulates myelinogenesis in the central nervous system.. Biochimica et biophysica acta, 2016.
- Agrawal R, Noble E, Vergnes L, Ying Z, Reue K, Gomez-Pinilla F. Dietary fructose aggravates the pathobiology of traumatic brain injury by influencing energy homeostasis and plasticity.. Journal of cerebral blood flow and metabolism : official journal of the International Society of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, 2015.
- Agrawal R, Noble E, Tyagi E, Zhuang Y, Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F. Flavonoid derivative 7,8-DHF attenuates TBI pathology via TrkB activation.. Biochimica et biophysica acta, 2015.
- Wu A, Noble EE, Tyagi E, Ying Z, Zhuang Y, Gomez-Pinilla F. Curcumin boosts DHA in the brain: Implications for the prevention of anxiety disorders.. Biochimica et biophysica acta, 2014.
- Tyagi E, Zhuang Y, Agrawal R, Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F. Interactive actions of Bdnf methylation and cell metabolism for building neural resilience under the influence of diet.. Neurobiology of disease, 2014.
- Agrawal R, Zhuang Y, Cummings BP, Stanhope KL, Graham JL, Havel PJ, Gomez-Pinilla F. Deterioration of plasticity and metabolic homeostasis in the brain of the UCD-T2DM rat model of naturally occurring type-2 diabetes.. Biochimica et biophysica acta, 2014.
- Tyagi E, Agrawal R, Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F. TBI and sex: crucial role of progesterone protecting the brain in an omega-3 deficient condition.. Experimental neurology, 2013.
- Agrawal R, Tyagi E, Vergnes L, Reue K, Gomez-Pinilla F. Coupling energy homeostasis with a mechanism to support plasticity in brain trauma.. Biochimica et biophysica acta, 2013.
- Gomez-Pinilla F, Tyagi E. Diet and cognition: interplay between cell metabolism and neuronal plasticity.. Current opinion in clinical nutrition and metabolic care, 2013.
- Wu A, Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F. Dietary strategy to repair plasma membrane after brain trauma: implications for plasticity and cognition.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2013.
- Tyagi E, Agrawal R, Zhuang Y, Abad C, Waschek JA, Gomez-Pinilla F. Vulnerability imposed by diet and brain trauma for anxiety-like phenotype: implications for post-traumatic stress disorders.. PloS one, 2013.
- Baruch K, Ron-Harel N, Gal H, Deczkowska A, Shifrut E, Ndifon W, Mirlas-Neisberg N, Cardon M, Vaknin I, Cahalon L, Berkutzki T, Mattson MP, Gomez-Pinilla F, Friedman N, Schwartz M. CNS-specific immunity at the choroid plexus shifts toward destructive Th2 inflammation in brain aging.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2013.
- Gomez-Pinilla F, Hillman C. The influence of exercise on cognitive abilities.. Comprehensive Physiology, 2013.
- Ying Z, Feng C, Agrawal R, Zhuang Y, Gomez-Pinilla F. Dietary omega-3 deficiency from gestation increases spinal cord vulnerability to traumatic brain injury-induced damage.. PloS one, 2012.
- Joseph MS, Ying Z, Zhuang Y, Zhong H, Wu A, Bhatia HS, Cruz R, Tillakaratne NJ, Roy RR, Edgerton VR, Gomez-Pinilla F. Effects of diet and/or exercise in enhancing spinal cord sensorimotor learning.. PloS one, 2012.
- Holly LT, Blaskiewicz D, Wu A, Feng C, Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F. Dietary therapy to promote neuroprotection in chronic spinal cord injury.. Journal of neurosurgery. Spine, 2012.
- Sharma S, Zhuang Y, Gomez-Pinilla F. High-fat diet transition reduces brain DHA levels associated with altered brain plasticity and behaviour.. Scientific reports, 2012.
- Agrawal R, Gomez-Pinilla F. 'Metabolic syndrome' in the brain: deficiency in omega-3 fatty acid exacerbates dysfunctions in insulin receptor signalling and cognition.. The Journal of physiology, 2012.
- Gomez-Pinilla F, Ying Z, Zhuang Y. Brain and spinal cord interaction: protective effects of exercise prior to spinal cord injury.. PloS one, 2012.
- Ying Z, Covalin A, Judy J, Gomez-Pinilla F. Hypothalamic stimulation enhances hippocampal BDNF plasticity in proportion to metabolic rate.. Brain stimulation, 2012.
- Gomez-Pinilla F, Nguyen TT. Natural mood foods: the actions of polyphenols against psychiatric and cognitive disorders.. Nutritional neuroscience, 2012.
- Bhatia HS, Agrawal R, Sharma S, Huo YX, Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F. Omega-3 fatty acid deficiency during brain maturation reduces neuronal and behavioral plasticity in adulthood.. PloS one, 2011.
- Wu A, Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F. The salutary effects of DHA dietary supplementation on cognition, neuroplasticity, and membrane homeostasis after brain trauma.. Journal of neurotrauma, 2011.
- Gomez-Pinilla F, Gomez AG. The influence of dietary factors in central nervous system plasticity and injury recovery.. PM & R : the journal of injury, function, and rehabilitation, 2011.
- Gomez-Pinilla F, Ying Z, Agoncillo T, Frostig R. The influence of naturalistic experience on plasticity markers in somatosensory cortex and hippocampus: effects of whisker use.. Brain research, 2011.
- Wu A, Ying Z, Schubert D, Gomez-Pinilla F. Brain and spinal cord interaction: a dietary curcumin derivative counteracts locomotor and cognitive deficits after brain trauma.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2011.
- Gomez-Pinilla F. The combined effects of exercise and foods in preventing neurological and cognitive disorders.. Preventive medicine, 2011.
- Gomez-Pinilla F. Collaborative effects of diet and exercise on cognitive enhancement.. Nutrition and health, 2011.
- Gomez-Pinilla F, Zhuang Y, Feng J, Ying Z, Fan G. Exercise impacts brain-derived neurotrophic factor plasticity by engaging mechanisms of epigenetic regulation.. The European journal of neuroscience, 2010.
- Sharma S, Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F. A pyrazole curcumin derivative restores membrane homeostasis disrupted after brain trauma.. Experimental neurology, 2010.
- Gomez-Pinilla F, Ying Z. Differential effects of exercise and dietary docosahexaenoic acid on molecular systems associated with control of allostasis in the hypothalamus and hippocampus.. Neuroscience, 2010.
- Aiguo Wu , Zhe Ying , Gomez-Pinilla F. Vitamin E protects against oxidative damage and learning disability after mild traumatic brain injury in rats.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2009.
- Griesbach GS, Hovda DA, Gomez-Pinilla F. Exercise-induced improvement in cognitive performance after traumatic brain injury in rats is dependent on BDNF activation.. Brain research, 2009.
- Chytrova G, Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F. Exercise contributes to the effects of DHA dietary supplementation by acting on membrane-related synaptic systems.. Brain research, 2009.
- Griesbach GS, Sutton RL, Hovda DA, Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F. Controlled contusion injury alters molecular systems associated with cognitive performance.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2009.
- Szabo Z, Ying Z, Radak Z, Gomez-Pinilla F. Voluntary exercise may engage proteasome function to benefit the brain after trauma.. Brain research, 2009.
- Gomez-Pinilla F, Vaynman S, Ying Z. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor functions as a metabotrophin to mediate the effects of exercise on cognition.. The European journal of neuroscience, 2008.
- Hu S, Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F, Frautschy SA. Exercise can increase small heat shock proteins (sHSP) and pre- and post-synaptic proteins in the hippocampus.. Brain research, 2008.
- Chytrova G, Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F. Exercise normalizes levels of MAG and Nogo-A growth inhibitors after brain trauma.. The European journal of neuroscience, 2007.
- Wu A, Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F. Omega-3 fatty acids supplementation restores mechanisms that maintain brain homeostasis in traumatic brain injury.. Journal of neurotrauma, 2007.
- Gómez-Pinilla F, Huie JR, Ying Z, Ferguson AR, Crown ED, Baumbauer KM, Edgerton VR, Grau JW. BDNF and learning: Evidence that instrumental training promotes learning within the spinal cord by up-regulating BDNF expression.. Neuroscience, 2007.
- Ghiani CA, Ying Z, de Vellis J, Gomez-Pinilla F. Exercise decreases myelin-associated glycoprotein expression in the spinal cord and positively modulates neuronal growth.. Glia, 2007.
- Gomez-Pinilla F. The influences of diet and exercise on mental health through hormesis.. Ageing research reviews, 2007.
- Ding Q, Vaynman S, Souda P, Whitelegge JP, Gomez-Pinilla F. Exercise affects energy metabolism and neural plasticity-related proteins in the hippocampus as revealed by proteomic analysis.. The European journal of neuroscience, 2006.
- Vaynman S, Gomez-Pinilla F. Revenge of the "sit": how lifestyle impacts neuronal and cognitive health through molecular systems that interface energy metabolism with neuronal plasticity.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2006.
- Guzman-Marin R, Ying Z, Suntsova N, Methippara M, Bashir T, Szymusiak R, Gomez-Pinilla F, McGinty D. Suppression of hippocampal plasticity-related gene expression by sleep deprivation in rats.. The Journal of physiology, 2006.
- Ben Simon GJ, Hovda DA, Harris NG, Gomez-Pinilla F, Goldberg RA. Traumatic brain injury induced neuroprotection of retinal ganglion cells to optic nerve crush.. Journal of neurotrauma, 2006.
- Wu A, Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F. Oxidative stress modulates Sir2alpha in rat hippocampus and cerebral cortex.. The European journal of neuroscience, 2006.
- Dishman RK, Berthoud HR, Booth FW, Cotman CW, Edgerton VR, Fleshner MR, Gandevia SC, Gomez-Pinilla F, Greenwood BN, Hillman CH, Kramer AF, Levin BE, Moran TH, Russo-Neustadt AA, Salamone JD, Van Hoomissen JD, Wade CE, York DA, Zigmond MJ. Neurobiology of exercise.. Obesity (Silver Spring, Md.), 2006.
- Vaynman SS, Ying Z, Yin D, Gomez-Pinilla F. Exercise differentially regulates synaptic proteins associated to the function of BDNF.. Brain research, 2006.
- Wu A, Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F. Dietary curcumin counteracts the outcome of traumatic brain injury on oxidative stress, synaptic plasticity, and cognition.. Experimental neurology, 2005.
- Vaynman S, Gomez-Pinilla F. License to run: exercise impacts functional plasticity in the intact and injured central nervous system by using neurotrophins.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2005.
- Gómez-Pinilla F, Ying Z, Roy RR, Hodgson J, Edgerton VR. Afferent input modulates neurotrophins and synaptic plasticity in the spinal cord.. Journal of neurophysiology, 2004.
- Vaynman S, Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F. Hippocampal BDNF mediates the efficacy of exercise on synaptic plasticity and cognition.. The European journal of neuroscience, 2004.
- Wu A, Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F. Dietary omega-3 fatty acids normalize BDNF levels, reduce oxidative damage, and counteract learning disability after traumatic brain injury in rats.. Journal of neurotrauma, 2004.
- Griesbach GS, Gomez-Pinilla F, Hovda DA. The upregulation of plasticity-related proteins following TBI is disrupted with acute voluntary exercise.. Brain research, 2004.
- Wu A, Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F. The interplay between oxidative stress and brain-derived neurotrophic factor modulates the outcome of a saturated fat diet on synaptic plasticity and cognition.. The European journal of neuroscience, 2004.
- Gómez-Pinilla F, Ying Z, Roy RR, Molteni R, Edgerton VR. Voluntary exercise induces a BDNF-mediated mechanism that promotes neuroplasticity.. Journal of neurophysiology, 2002.
- Griesbach GS, Hovda DA, Molteni R, Gomez-Pinilla F. Alterations in BDNF and synapsin I within the occipital cortex and hippocampus after mild traumatic brain injury in the developing rat: reflections of injury-induced neuroplasticity.. Journal of neurotrauma, 2002.
- Gómez-Pinilla F, Dao L, Choi J, Ryba EA. Diazepam induces FGF-2 mRNA in the hippocampus and striatum.. Brain research bulletin, 2000.