Professor, Human Genetics, University of California Los Angeles
695 Charles Young Drive South
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Room 6357C, Gonda Building
Campus - 708822
695 Charles Young Drive South
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Guoping Fan is a Professor in the Department of Human Genetics, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. He has been a faculty member at UCLA since 2001. Pior to that, he was a postdoctoral fellow at the Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Institute/MIT, where he studies the role of DNA methylation and neurotrophins in neural development. Dr. Fan earned his B.S. in Biochemistry at Nanjing University, China and Ph.D. in Neuroscience at Case Western Reserve University. His current research focuses on the actions of DNA methylation and chromatin-remodeling in regulating neural gene expression, neuronal function, and stem cell differentiation and reprogramming.
- Song Y, Soto J, Wang P, An Q, Zhang X, Hong S, Lee LP, Fan G, Yang L, Li S. Asymmetric Cell Division of Fibroblasts is An Early Deterministic Step to Generate Elite Cells during Cell Reprogramming.. Advanced science (Weinheim, Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany), 2021.
- Deng P, Yuan Q, Cheng Y, Li J, Liu Z, Liu Y, Li Y, Su T, Wang J, Salvo ME, Wang W, Fan G, Lyons K, Yu B, Wang CY. Loss of KDM4B exacerbates bone-fat imbalance and mesenchymal stromal cell exhaustion in skeletal aging.. Cell stem cell, 2021.
- An Q, Hu Y, Li Q, Chen X, Huang J, Pellegrini M, Zhou XJ, Rettig M, Fan G. The size of cell-free mitochondrial DNA in blood is inversely correlated with tumor burden in cancer patients.. Precision clinical medicine, 2019.
- Guo C, Pei L, Xiao X, Wei Q, Chen JK, Ding HF, Huang S, Fan G, Shi H, Dong Z. DNA methylation protects against cisplatin-induced kidney injury by regulating specific genes, including interferon regulatory factor 8.. Kidney international, 2017.
- King AD, Huang K, Rubbi L, Liu S, Wang CY, Wang Y, Pellegrini M, Fan G. Reversible Regulation of Promoter and Enhancer Histone Landscape by DNA Methylation in Mouse Embryonic Stem Cells.. Cell reports, 2016.
- Kohno D, Lee S, Harper MJ, Kim KW, Sone H, Sasaki T, Kitamura T, Fan G, Elmquist JK. Dnmt3a in Sim1 neurons is necessary for normal energy homeostasis.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2014.
- Huang K, Maruyama T, Fan G. The naive state of human pluripotent stem cells: a synthesis of stem cell and preimplantation embryo transcriptome analyses.. Cell stem cell, 2014.
- Narayanan M, Huynh JL, Wang K, Yang X, Yoo S, McElwee J, Zhang B, Zhang C, Lamb JR, Xie T, Suver C, Molony C, Melquist S, Johnson AD, Fan G, Stone DJ, Schadt EE, Casaccia P, Emilsson V, Zhu J. Common dysregulation network in the human prefrontal cortex underlies two neurodegenerative diseases.. Molecular systems biology, 2014.
- Huang K, Wu Z, Liu Z, Hu G, Yu J, Chang KH, Kim KP, Le T, Faull KF, Rao N, Gennery A, Xue Z, Wang CY, Pellegrini M, Fan G. Selective demethylation and altered gene expression are associated with ICF syndrome in human-induced pluripotent stem cells and mesenchymal stem cells.. Human molecular genetics, 2014.
- Liu B, Tahk S, Yee KM, Yang R, Yang Y, Mackie R, Hsu C, Chernishof V, O'Brien N, Jin Y, Fan G, Lane TF, Rao J, Slamon D, Shuai K. PIAS1 regulates breast tumorigenesis through selective epigenetic gene silencing.. PloS one, 2014.
- Huang K, Shen Y, Xue Z, Bibikova M, April C, Liu Z, Cheng L, Nagy A, Pellegrini M, Fan JB, Fan G. A panel of CpG methylation sites distinguishes human embryonic stem cells and induced pluripotent stem cells.. Stem cell reports, 2013.
- Guo JU, Su Y, Shin JH, Shin J, Li H, Xie B, Zhong C, Hu S, Le T, Fan G, Zhu H, Chang Q, Gao Y, Ming GL, Song H. Distribution, recognition and regulation of non-CpG methylation in the adult mammalian brain.. Nature neuroscience, 2013.
- Xue Z, Huang K, Cai C, Cai L, Jiang CY, Feng Y, Liu Z, Zeng Q, Cheng L, Sun YE, Liu JY, Horvath S, Fan G. Genetic programs in human and mouse early embryos revealed by single-cell RNA sequencing.. Nature, 2013.
- Vincent JJ, Huang Y, Chen PY, Feng S, Calvopiña JH, Nee K, Lee SA, Le T, Yoon AJ, Faull K, Fan G, Rao A, Jacobsen SE, Pellegrini M, Clark AT. Stage-specific roles for tet1 and tet2 in DNA demethylation in primordial germ cells.. Cell stem cell, 2013.
- Hu G, Huang K, Yu J, Gopalakrishna-Pillai S, Kong J, Xu H, Liu Z, Zhang K, Xu J, Luo Y, Li S, Sun YE, Iverson LE, Xue Z, Fan G. Identification of miRNA signatures during the differentiation of hESCs into retinal pigment epithelial cells.. PloS one, 2012.
- Moore LD, Le T, Fan G. DNA methylation and its basic function.. Neuropsychopharmacology : official publication of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, 2012.
- Li J, Jiang TX, Hughes MW, Wu P, Yu J, Widelitz RB, Fan G, Chuong CM. Progressive alopecia reveals decreasing stem cell activation probability during aging of mice with epidermal deletion of DNA methyltransferase 1.. The Journal of investigative dermatology, 2012.
- Wu Z, Huang K, Yu J, Le T, Namihira M, Liu Y, Zhang J, Xue Z, Cheng L, Fan G. Dnmt3a regulates both proliferation and differentiation of mouse neural stem cells.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2012.
- Biswas A, Liu Y, Liu T, Fan G, Tang Y. Polyethylene glycol-based protein nanocapsules for functional delivery of a differentiation transcription factor.. Biomaterials, 2012.
- Wang A, Huang K, Shen Y, Xue Z, Cai C, Horvath S, Fan G. Functional modules distinguish human induced pluripotent stem cells from embryonic stem cells.. Stem cells and development, 2011.
- Fan G, Tran J. X chromosome inactivation in human and mouse pluripotent stem cells.. Human genetics, 2011.
- Huang K, Fan G. Epigenetic modifications in distinction: histone versus DNA methylation in ESCs.. Cell stem cell, 2011.
- Dhawan S, Georgia S, Tschen SI, Fan G, Bhushan A. Pancreatic ß cell identity is maintained by DNA methylation-mediated repression of Arx.. Developmental cell, 2011.
- Biswas A, Joo KI, Liu J, Zhao M, Fan G, Wang P, Gu Z, Tang Y. Endoprotease-mediated intracellular protein delivery using nanocapsules.. ACS nano, 2011.
- Le T, Kim KP, Fan G, Faull KF. A sensitive mass spectrometry method for simultaneous quantification of DNA methylation and hydroxymethylation levels in biological samples.. Analytical biochemistry, 2011.
- Liu B, Tahk S, Yee KM, Fan G, Shuai K. The ligase PIAS1 restricts natural regulatory T cell differentiation by epigenetic repression.. Science (New York, N.Y.), 2010.
- Liao JL, Yu J, Huang K, Hu J, Diemer T, Ma Z, Dvash T, Yang XJ, Travis GH, Williams DS, Bok D, Fan G. Molecular signature of primary retinal pigment epithelium and stem-cell-derived RPE cells.. Human molecular genetics, 2010.
- Huang K, Fan G. DNA methylation in cell differentiation and reprogramming: an emerging systematic view.. Regenerative medicine, 2010.
- Dvash T, Lavon N, Fan G. Variations of X chromosome inactivation occur in early passages of female human embryonic stem cells.. PloS one, 2010.
- Zhong J, Chan A, Morad L, Kornblum HI, Fan G, Carmichael ST. Hydrogel matrix to support stem cell survival after brain transplantation in stroke.. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, 2010.
- Hutnick LK, Huang X, Loo TC, Ma Z, Fan G. Repression of retrotransposal elements in mouse embryonic stem cells is primarily mediated by a DNA methylation-independent mechanism.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 2010.
- Feng J, Zhou Y, Campbell SL, Le T, Li E, Sweatt JD, Silva AJ, Fan G. Dnmt1 and Dnmt3a maintain DNA methylation and regulate synaptic function in adult forebrain neurons.. Nature neuroscience, 2010.
- Mason MJ, Fan G, Plath K, Zhou Q, Horvath S. Signed weighted gene co-expression network analysis of transcriptional regulation in murine embryonic stem cells.. BMC genomics, 2009.
- Fan Z, Yamaza T, Lee JS, Yu J, Wang S, Fan G, Shi S, Wang CY. BCOR regulates mesenchymal stem cell function by epigenetic mechanisms.. Nature cell biology, 2009.
- Hutnick LK, Golshani P, Namihira M, Xue Z, Matynia A, Yang XW, Silva AJ, Schweizer FE, Fan G. DNA hypomethylation restricted to the murine forebrain induces cortical degeneration and impairs postnatal neuronal maturation.. Human molecular genetics, 2009.
- Dvash T, Fan G. Epigenetic regulation of X-inactivation in human embryonic stem cells.. Epigenetics, 2009.
- Shen Y, Fouse SD, Fan G. Genome-wide DNA methylation profiling: the mDIP-chip technology.. Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.), 2009.
- Feng J, Fan G. The role of DNA methylation in the central nervous system and neuropsychiatric disorders.. International review of neurobiology, 2009.
- Wu H, Kim KJ, Mehta K, Paxia S, Sundstrom A, Anantharaman T, Kuraishy AI, Doan T, Ghosh J, Pyle AD, Clark A, Lowry W, Fan G, Baxter T, Mishra B, Sun Y, Teitell MA. Copy number variant analysis of human embryonic stem cells.. Stem cells (Dayton, Ohio), 2008.
- Shen Y, Matsuno Y, Fouse SD, Rao N, Root S, Xu R, Pellegrini M, Riggs AD, Fan G. X-inactivation in female human embryonic stem cells is in a nonrandom pattern and prone to epigenetic alterations.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2008.
- Fouse SD, Shen Y, Pellegrini M, Cole S, Meissner A, Van Neste L, Jaenisch R, Fan G. Promoter CpG methylation contributes to ES cell gene regulation in parallel with Oct4/Nanog, PcG complex, and histone H3 K4/K27 trimethylation.. Cell stem cell, 2008.
- Coskun V, Wu H, Blanchi B, Tsao S, Kim K, Zhao J, Biancotti JC, Hutnick L, Krueger RC, Fan G, de Vellis J, Sun YE. CD133+ neural stem cells in the ependyma of mammalian postnatal forebrain.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2008.
- Feng J, Fouse S, Fan G. Epigenetic regulation of neural gene expression and neuronal function.. Pediatric research, 2007.
- Lu YC, Song J, Cho HY, Fan G, Yokoyama KK, Chiu R. Cyclophilin a protects Peg3 from hypermethylation and inactive histone modification.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 2006.
- Shen Y, Chow J, Wang Z, Fan G. Abnormal CpG island methylation occurs during in vitro differentiation of human embryonic stem cells.. Human molecular genetics, 2006.
- Golshani P, Hutnick L, Schweizer F, Fan G. Conditional Dnmt1 deletion in dorsal forebrain disrupts development of somatosensory barrel cortex and thalamocortical long-term potentiation.. Thalamus & related systems, 2005.
- Fan G, Martinowich K, Chin MH, He F, Fouse SD, Hutnick L, Hattori D, Ge W, Shen Y, Wu H, ten Hoeve J, Shuai K, Sun YE. DNA methylation controls the timing of astrogliogenesis through regulation of JAK-STAT signaling.. Development (Cambridge, England), 2005.
- He F, Ge W, Martinowich K, Becker-Catania S, Coskun V, Zhu W, Wu H, Castro D, Guillemot F, Fan G, de Vellis J, Sun YE. A positive autoregulatory loop of Jak-STAT signaling controls the onset of astrogliogenesis.. Nature neuroscience, 2005.
- Fan G, Hutnick L. Methyl-CpG binding proteins in the nervous system.. Cell research, 2005.
- Feng J, Chang H, Li E, Fan G. Dynamic expression of de novo DNA methyltransferases Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b in the central nervous system.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2005.
- Martinowich K, Hattori D, Wu H, Fouse S, He F, Hu Y, Fan G, Sun YE. DNA methylation-related chromatin remodeling in activity-dependent BDNF gene regulation.. Science (New York, N.Y.), 2003.
- Ge W, Martinowich K, Wu X, He F, Miyamoto A, Fan G, Weinmaster G, Sun YE. Notch signaling promotes astrogliogenesis via direct CSL-mediated glial gene activation.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2002.