Joel T Braslow
Professor-in-Residence, Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California Los Angeles
UCLA Psychr and Behavorial Sciences
BOX 957082, UCLA Wilshire Cntr, Ste 300
Los Angeles, CA 90095
10920 Wilshere Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90024
- Leung LB, Benitez CT, Dorsey C, Mahajan AP, Hellemann GS, Whelan F, Park NJ, Braslow JT. Integrating Mental Health in Safety-net Primary Care: A Five-year Observational Study on Visits in a County Health System.. Medical care, 2021.
- Braslow JT. Whose crisis is it anyway? A commentary on Andrew Scull's 'American psychiatry in the new millennium: a critical appraisal'.. Psychological medicine, 2021.
- Braslow JT. Psychosis Without Meaning: Creating Modern Clinical Psychiatry, 1950 to 1980.. Culture, medicine and psychiatry, 2021.
- Friedman J, Mann NC, Hansen H, Bourgois P, Braslow J, Bui AAT, Beletsky L, Schriger DL. Racial/Ethnic, Social, and Geographic Trends in Overdose-Associated Cardiac Arrests Observed by US Emergency Medical Services During the COVID-19 Pandemic.. JAMA psychiatry, 2021.
- Castillo EG, Braslow JT. How Pharmaceuticals Mask Health and Social Inequity.. AMA journal of ethics, 2021.
- Braslow JT, Starks SL, Castillo EG, Brekke JS, Levenson J. Recovery in Context: Thirty Years of Mental Health Policy in California.. Perspectives in biology and medicine, 2021.
- Castillo EG, Isom J, DeBonis KL, Jordan A, Braslow JT, Rohrbaugh R. Reconsidering Systems-Based Practice: Advancing Structural Competency, Health Equity, and Social Responsibility in Graduate Medical Education.. Academic medicine : journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges, 2020.
- Braslow JT, Brekke JS, Levenson J. Psychiatry's Myopia-Reclaiming the Social, Cultural, and Psychological in the Psychiatric Gaze.. JAMA psychiatry, 2020.
- Braslow JT, Marder SR. History of Psychopharmacology.. Annual review of clinical psychology, 2019.
- Braslow JT, Messac L. Medicalization and Demedicalization - A Gravely Disabled Homeless Man with Psychiatric Illness.. The New England journal of medicine, 2018.
- Kelly EL, Braslow JT, Brekke JS. Using Electronic Health Records to Enhance a Peer Health Navigator Intervention: A Randomized Pilot Test for Individuals with Serious Mental Illness and Housing Instability.. Community mental health journal, 2018.
- Castillo EG, Chung B, Bromley E, Kataoka SH, Braslow JT, Essock SM, Young AS, Greenberg JM, Miranda J, Dixon LB, Wells KB. Community, Public Policy, and Recovery from Mental Illness: Emerging Research and Initiatives.. Harvard review of psychiatry, 2018.
- Hansen H, Braslow J, Rohrbaugh RM. From Cultural to Structural Competency-Training Psychiatry Residents to Act on Social Determinants of Health and Institutional Racism.. JAMA psychiatry, 2018.
- Starks SL, Arns PG, Padwa H, Friedman JR, Marrow J, Meldrum ML, Bromley E, Kelly EL, Brekke JS, Braslow JT. System Transformation Under the California Mental Health Services Act: Implementation of Full-Service Partnerships in L.A. County.. Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.), 2017.
- Meldrum M, Kelly E, Braslow J. Documenting AOT Implementation: Misinformed Informants? In Reply.. Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.), 2016.
- Meldrum ML, Kelly EL, Calderon R, Brekke JS, Braslow JT. Implementation Status of Assisted Outpatient Treatment Programs: A National Survey.. Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.), 2016.
- Shaner R, Thompson KS, Braslow J, Ragins M, Parks JJ, Vaccaro JV. How Health Reform is Recasting Public Psychiatry.. The Psychiatric clinics of North America, 2015.
- Padwa H, Guerrero EG, Braslow JT, Fenwick KM. Barriers to serving clients with co-occurring disorders in a transformed mental health system.. Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.), 2015.
- Pahwa R, Bromley E, Brekke B, Gabrielian S, Braslow JT, Brekke JS. Relationship of community integration of persons with severe mental illness and mental health service intensity.. Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.), 2014.
- Bromley E, Gabrielian S, Brekke B, Pahwa R, Daly KA, Brekke JS, Braslow JT. Experiencing community: perspectives of individuals diagnosed as having serious mental illness.. Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.), 2013.
- Braslow JT. The manufacture of recovery.. Annual review of clinical psychology, 2013.
- Lizaola E, Schraiber R, Braslow J, Kataoka S, Springgate BF, Wells KB, Jones L. The Partnered Research Center for Quality Care: developing infrastructure to support community-partnered participatory research in mental health.. Ethnicity & disease, 2011.
- Bromley E, Braslow JT. Teaching critical thinking in psychiatric training: a role for the social sciences.. The American journal of psychiatry, 2008.
- Braslow JT, Duan N, Starks SL, Polo A, Bromley E, Wells KB. Generalizability of studies on mental health treatment and outcomes, 1981 to 1996.. Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.), 2005.
- Braslow JT, Starks SL. The making of contemporary American psychiatry, Part 2: therapeutics and gender before and after World War II.. History of psychology, 2005.
- Starks SL, Braslow JT. The making of contemporary American psychiatry, part 1: patients, treatments, and therapeutic rationales before and after World War II.. History of psychology, 2005.
- Sherman SE, Chapman A, Garcia D, Braslow JT. Improving recognition of depression in primary care: a study of evidence-based quality improvement.. Joint Commission journal on quality and safety, 2004.
- Kravitz RL, Duan N, Braslow J. Evidence-based medicine, heterogeneity of treatment effects, and the trouble with averages.. The Milbank quarterly, 2004.
- Braslow J. Therapeutic effectiveness and social context: the case of lobotomy in a California state hospital, 1947-1954.. The Western journal of medicine, 1999.
- Braslow JT. The influence of a biological therapy on physicians' narratives and interrogations: the case of general paralysis of the insane and malaria fever therapy, 1910-1950.. Bulletin of the history of medicine, 1996.