John J Colicelli
Department Vice Chair, Biological Chemistry, Biological Chemistry, University of California Los Angeles
Professor, Biological Chemistry, University of California Los Angeles
173717 mail code
615 Charles E. Young Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90095
John Colicelli is a cell biologist and biochemist. He joined the Department of Biological Chemistry in the UCLA School of Medicine in 1990. He became a full professor in 2003. Dr. Colicelli earned his B.A. in Chemistry at Rutgers University and his M.S. and Ph.D. in Biochemistry from Columbia University in New York. He was a postdoctoral fellow at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. Dr. Colicelli’s research is focused on molecular signal transduction in cancer biology and neuronal plasticity. He teaches cell biology at the graduate and undergraduate levels. Dr. Colicelli serves as a Departmental Vice Chair and as a member of the School of Medicine Faculty Executive Committee.
- Johnson CW, Buhrman G, Ting PY, Colicelli J, Mattos C. Expression, purification, crystallization and X-ray data collection for RAS and its mutants.. Data in brief, 2015.
- Ting PY, Johnson CW, Fang C, Cao X, Graeber TG, Mattos C, Colicelli J. Tyrosine phosphorylation of RAS by ABL allosterically enhances effector binding.. FASEB journal : official publication of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, 2015.
- Ting PY, Damoiseaux R, Titz B, Bradley KA, Graeber TG, Fernández-Vega V, Bannister TD, Chase P, Nair R, Scampavia L, Hodder P, Spicer TP, Colicelli J. Identification of small molecules that disrupt signaling between ABL and its positive regulator RIN1.. PloS one, 2015.
- Balaji K, French CT, Miller JF, Colicelli J. The RAB5-GEF Function of RIN1 Regulates Multiple Steps During Listeria monocytogenes Infection.. Traffic (Copenhagen, Denmark), 2015.
- Balaji K, French CT, Miller JF, Colicelli J. The RAB5-GEF function of RIN1 regulates multiple steps during Listeria monocytogenes infection.. Traffic (Copenhagen, Denmark), 2014.
- Gillespie EJ, Ho CL, Balaji K, Clemens DL, Deng G, Wang YE, Elsaesser HJ, Tamilselvam B, Gargi A, Dixon SD, France B, Chamberlain BT, Blanke SR, Cheng G, de la Torre JC, Brooks DG, Jung ME, Colicelli J, Damoiseaux R, Bradley KA. Selective inhibitor of endosomal trafficking pathways exploited by multiple toxins and viruses.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2013.
- Balaji K, Colicelli J. RIN1 regulates cell migration through RAB5 GTPases and ABL tyrosine kinases.. Communicative & integrative biology, 2013.
- Janson C, Kasahara N, Prendergast GC, Colicelli J. RIN3 is a negative regulator of mast cell responses to SCF.. PloS one, 2012.
- Balaji K, Mooser C, Janson CM, Bliss JM, Hojjat H, Colicelli J. RIN1 orchestrates the activation of RAB5 GTPases and ABL tyrosine kinases to determine the fate of EGFR.. Journal of cell science, 2012.
- Thai M, Ting PY, McLaughlin J, Cheng D, Müschen M, Witte ON, Colicelli J. ABL fusion oncogene transformation and inhibitor sensitivity are mediated by the cellular regulator RIN1.. Leukemia, 2010.
- Colicelli J. ABL tyrosine kinases: evolution of function, regulation, and specificity.. Science signaling, 2010.
- Colicelli J. Signal transduction: RABGEF1 fingers RAS for ubiquitination.. Current biology : CB, 2010.
- Bliss JM, Gray EE, Dhaka A, O'Dell TJ, Colicelli J. Fear learning and extinction are linked to neuronal plasticity through Rin1 signaling.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2010.
- Dzudzor B, Huynh L, Thai M, Bliss JM, Nagaoka Y, Wang Y, Ch'ng TH, Jiang M, Martin KC, Colicelli J. Regulated expression of the Ras effector Rin1 in forebrain neurons.. Molecular and cellular neurosciences, 2009.
- Cao X, Tanis KQ, Koleske AJ, Colicelli J. Enhancement of ABL kinase catalytic efficiency by a direct binding regulator is independent of other regulatory mechanisms.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 2008.
- Deininger K, Eder M, Kramer ER, Zieglgänsberger W, Dodt HU, Dornmair K, Colicelli J, Klein R. The Rab5 guanylate exchange factor Rin1 regulates endocytosis of the EphA4 receptor in mature excitatory neurons.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2008.
- Hu H, Milstein M, Bliss JM, Thai M, Malhotra G, Huynh LC, Colicelli J. Integration of transforming growth factor beta and RAS signaling silences a RAB5 guanine nucleotide exchange factor and enhances growth factor-directed cell migration.. Molecular and cellular biology, 2007.
- Milstein M, Mooser CK, Hu H, Fejzo M, Slamon D, Goodglick L, Dry S, Colicelli J. RIN1 is a breast tumor suppressor gene.. Cancer research, 2007.
- Hilder TL, Malone MH, Bencharit S, Colicelli J, Haystead TA, Johnson GL, Wu CC. Proteomic identification of the cerebral cavernous malformation signaling complex.. Journal of proteome research, 2007.
- Kozeracki CA, Carey MF, Colicelli J, Levis-Fitzgerald M, Grossel M. An intensive primary-literature-based teaching program directly benefits undergraduate science majors and facilitates their transition to doctoral programs.. CBE life sciences education, 2006.
- Bliss JM, Venkatesh B, Colicelli J. The RIN family of Ras effectors.. Methods in enzymology, 2006.
- Hu H, Bliss JM, Wang Y, Colicelli J. RIN1 is an ABL tyrosine kinase activator and a regulator of epithelial-cell adhesion and migration.. Current biology : CB, 2005.
- Colicelli J. Human RAS superfamily proteins and related GTPases.. Science's STKE : signal transduction knowledge environment, 2004.
- Huai Q, Colicelli J, Ke H. The crystal structure of AMP-bound PDE4 suggests a mechanism for phosphodiesterase catalysis.. Biochemistry, 2003.
- Dhaka A, Costa RM, Hu H, Irvin DK, Patel A, Kornblum HI, Silva AJ, O'Dell TJ, Colicelli J. The RAS effector RIN1 modulates the formation of aversive memories.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2003.
- Wang Y, Waldron RT, Dhaka A, Patel A, Riley MM, Rozengurt E, Colicelli J. The RAS effector RIN1 directly competes with RAF and is regulated by 14-3-3 proteins.. Molecular and cellular biology, 2002.
- Dym O, Xenarios I, Ke H, Colicelli J. Molecular docking of competitive phosphodiesterase inhibitors.. Molecular pharmacology, 2002.
- Wang Y, Colicelli J. RAS interaction with effector target RIN1.. Methods in enzymology, 2001.
- Lim YM, Wong S, Lau G, Witte ON, Colicelli J. BCR/ABL inhibition by an escort/phosphatase fusion protein.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2000.
- Atienza JM, Suh M, Xenarios I, Landgraf R, Colicelli J. Human ERK1 induces filamentous growth and cell wall remodeling pathways in Saccharomyces cerevisiae.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 2000.
- Atienza JM, Susanto D, Huang C, McCarty AS, Colicelli J. Identification of inhibitor specificity determinants in a mammalian phosphodiesterase.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 1999.
- Atienza JM, Colicelli J. Yeast model system for study of mammalian phosphodiesterases.. Methods (San Diego, Calif.), 1998.
- Afar DE, Han L, McLaughlin J, Wong S, Dhaka A, Parmar K, Rosenberg N, Witte ON, Colicelli J. Regulation of the oncogenic activity of BCR-ABL by a tightly bound substrate protein RIN1.. Immunity, 1997.
- Han L, Wong D, Dhaka A, Afar D, White M, Xie W, Herschman H, Witte O, Colicelli J. Protein binding and signaling properties of RIN1 suggest a unique effector function.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 1997.
- Spain BH, Bowdish KS, Pacal AR, Staub SF, Koo D, Chang CY, Xie W, Colicelli J. Two human cDNAs, including a homolog of Arabidopsis FUS6 (COP11), suppress G-protein- and mitogen-activated protein kinase-mediated signal transduction in yeast and mammalian cells.. Molecular and cellular biology, 1996.
- Spain BH, Koo D, Ramakrishnan M, Dzudzor B, Colicelli J. Truncated forms of a novel yeast protein suppress the lethality of a G protein alpha subunit deficiency by interacting with the beta subunit.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 1995.
- Han L, Colicelli J. A human protein selected for interference with Ras function interacts directly with Ras and competes with Raf1.. Molecular and cellular biology, 1995.
- Pillai R, Staub SF, Colicelli J. Mutational mapping of kinetic and pharmacological properties of a human cardiac cAMP phosphodiesterase.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 1994.
- Pillai R, Kytle K, Reyes A, Colicelli J. Use of a yeast expression system for the isolation and analysis of drug-resistant mutants of a mammalian phosphodiesterase.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 1993.