John J Colicelli
Department Vice Chair, Biological Chemistry, Biological Chemistry, University of California Los Angeles
Professor, Biological Chemistry, University of California Los Angeles
173717 mail code
615 Charles E. Young Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90095
John Colicelli is a cell biologist and biochemist. He joined the Department of Biological Chemistry in the UCLA School of Medicine in 1990. He became a full professor in 2003. Dr. Colicelli earned his B.A. in Chemistry at Rutgers University and his M.S. and Ph.D. in Biochemistry from Columbia University in New York. He was a postdoctoral fellow at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. Dr. Colicelli’s research is focused on molecular signal transduction in cancer biology and neuronal plasticity. He teaches cell biology at the graduate and undergraduate levels. Dr. Colicelli serves as a Departmental Vice Chair and as a member of the School of Medicine Faculty Executive Committee.
- Ting PY, Damoiseaux R, Titz B, Bradley KA, Graeber TG, Fernández-Vega V, Bannister TD, Chase P, Nair R, Scampavia L, Hodder P, Spicer TP, Colicelli J. Identification of small molecules that disrupt signaling between ABL and its positive regulator RIN1.. PloS one, 2015.
- Gillespie EJ, Ho CL, Balaji K, Clemens DL, Deng G, Wang YE, Elsaesser HJ, Tamilselvam B, Gargi A, Dixon SD, France B, Chamberlain BT, Blanke SR, Cheng G, de la Torre JC, Brooks DG, Jung ME, Colicelli J, Damoiseaux R, Bradley KA. Selective inhibitor of endosomal trafficking pathways exploited by multiple toxins and viruses.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2013.
- Balaji K, Colicelli J. RIN1 regulates cell migration through RAB5 GTPases and ABL tyrosine kinases.. Communicative & integrative biology, 2013.
- Janson C, Kasahara N, Prendergast GC, Colicelli J. RIN3 is a negative regulator of mast cell responses to SCF.. PloS one, 2012.
- Balaji K, Mooser C, Janson CM, Bliss JM, Hojjat H, Colicelli J. RIN1 orchestrates the activation of RAB5 GTPases and ABL tyrosine kinases to determine the fate of EGFR.. Journal of cell science, 2012.
- Colicelli J. ABL tyrosine kinases: evolution of function, regulation, and specificity.. Science signaling, 2010.
- Colicelli J. Signal transduction: RABGEF1 fingers RAS for ubiquitination.. Current biology : CB, 2010.
- Bliss JM, Gray EE, Dhaka A, O'Dell TJ, Colicelli J. Fear learning and extinction are linked to neuronal plasticity through Rin1 signaling.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2010.
- Cao X, Tanis KQ, Koleske AJ, Colicelli J. Enhancement of ABL kinase catalytic efficiency by a direct binding regulator is independent of other regulatory mechanisms.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 2008.
- Hu H, Milstein M, Bliss JM, Thai M, Malhotra G, Huynh LC, Colicelli J. Integration of transforming growth factor beta and RAS signaling silences a RAB5 guanine nucleotide exchange factor and enhances growth factor-directed cell migration.. Molecular and cellular biology, 2007.
- Hilder TL, Malone MH, Bencharit S, Colicelli J, Haystead TA, Johnson GL, Wu CC. Proteomic identification of the cerebral cavernous malformation signaling complex.. Journal of proteome research, 2007.
- Kozeracki CA, Carey MF, Colicelli J, Levis-Fitzgerald M, Grossel M. An intensive primary-literature-based teaching program directly benefits undergraduate science majors and facilitates their transition to doctoral programs.. CBE life sciences education, 2006.
- Bliss JM, Venkatesh B, Colicelli J. The RIN family of Ras effectors.. Methods in enzymology, 2006.
- Hu H, Bliss JM, Wang Y, Colicelli J. RIN1 is an ABL tyrosine kinase activator and a regulator of epithelial-cell adhesion and migration.. Current biology : CB, 2005.
- Colicelli J. Human RAS superfamily proteins and related GTPases.. Science's STKE : signal transduction knowledge environment, 2004.
- Dhaka A, Costa RM, Hu H, Irvin DK, Patel A, Kornblum HI, Silva AJ, O'Dell TJ, Colicelli J. The RAS effector RIN1 modulates the formation of aversive memories.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2003.
- Wang Y, Waldron RT, Dhaka A, Patel A, Riley MM, Rozengurt E, Colicelli J. The RAS effector RIN1 directly competes with RAF and is regulated by 14-3-3 proteins.. Molecular and cellular biology, 2002.
- Dym O, Xenarios I, Ke H, Colicelli J. Molecular docking of competitive phosphodiesterase inhibitors.. Molecular pharmacology, 2002.