Larry F Hoffman
Adjunct Professor, Head and Neck Surgery, University of California Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Clinical Interests: Clinical Neurophysiology Research Interests: Vestibular Neuroscience Dr. Hoffman’s research is conducted under the auspice of the National Multipurpose Research and Training Center for vestibular neuroscience from the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD). It is devoted to improving the understanding of how information regarding head movements, resulting from transduction mechanisms of the vestibular receptors within the inner ear, is encoded, distributed, and utilized within the central nervous system (CNS). Currently, these investigations are focused upon the neurophysiologic and neuroanatomic organization of vestibular primary afferent neurons, the cells providing the communication between the peripheral vestibular receptors and the CNS. Considerable effort is also devoted to the pathophysiology of these neurons in models of nerve regeneration, ototoxicity, and regeneration of the sensory epithelium. Additionally, current research includes investigations of the anatomy and cell biology of efferent vestibular neurons (cells that provide communication from the CNS back to the peripheral vestibular receptors). Dr. Hoffman is very active in teaching and supervising projects of research trainees at various levels including undergraduate, graduate, medical, postdoctoral, and resident students. His administrative activities include the organization of the Division’s Basic Science curriculum, and assisting in the administration of the Division’s institutional training grant from the NIDCD.
- Rossborough J, Salles A, Stidsholt L, Madsen PT, Moss CF, Hoffman LF. Inflight head stabilization associated with wingbeat cycle and sonar emissions in the lingual echolocating Egyptian fruit bat, Rousettus aegyptiacus.. Journal of comparative physiology. A, Neuroethology, sensory, neural, and behavioral physiology, 2021.
- Straka H, Paulin MG, Hoffman LF. Translations of Steinhausen's Publications Provide Insight Into Their Contributions to Peripheral Vestibular Neuroscience.. Frontiers in neurology, 2021.
- Kita A, Saldate J, Chang C, Chellappa N, Jong J, Matsuda R, Schmidt A, Shih B, Shafqat I, Schoettler K, Acharya S, Seidlits S, Hoffman L. Implantable Drug Reservoir Devices for Inner Ear Delivery of Pharmacotherapeutics.. Otolaryngology--head and neck surgery : official journal of American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 2020.
- Prins TJ, Myers ZA, Saldate JJ, Hoffman LF. Calbindin expression in adult vestibular epithelia.. Journal of comparative physiology. A, Neuroethology, sensory, neural, and behavioral physiology, 2020.
- Paulin MG, Hoffman LF. Models of vestibular semicircular canal afferent neuron firing activity.. Journal of neurophysiology, 2019.
- Prins TJ, Saldate JJ, Berke GS, Hoffman LF. On the Legacy of Genetically Altered Mouse Models to Explore Vestibular Function: Distribution of Vestibular Hair Cell Phenotypes in the Otoferlin-Null Mouse.. The Annals of otology, rhinology, and laryngology, 2019.
- Hoffman LF, Choy KR, Sultemeier DR, Simmons DD. Oncomodulin Expression Reveals New Insights into the Cellular Organization of the Murine Utricle Striola.. Journal of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology : JARO, 2018.
- Sultemeier DR, Hoffman LF. Partial Aminoglycoside Lesions in Vestibular Epithelia Reveal Broad Sensory Dysfunction Associated with Modest Hair Cell Loss and Afferent Calyx Retraction.. Frontiers in cellular neuroscience, 2017.
- Sultemeier DR, Choy KR, Schweizer FE, Hoffman LF. Spaceflight-induced synaptic modifications within hair cells of the mammalian utricle.. Journal of neurophysiology, 2017.
- Schweizer FE, Savin D, Luu C, Sultemeier DR, Hoffman LF. Distribution of high-conductance calcium-activated potassium channels in rat vestibular epithelia.. The Journal of comparative neurology, 2009.
- White CH, Ohmen JD, Sheth S, Zebboudj AF, McHugh RK, Hoffman LF, Lusis AJ, Davis RC, Friedman RA. Genome-wide screening for genetic loci associated with noise-induced hearing loss.. Mammalian genome : official journal of the International Mammalian Genome Society, 2009.
- Hoffman LF, Ross MD, Varelas J, Jones SM, Jones TA. Afferent synapses are present in utricular hair cells from otoconia-deficient mice.. Hearing research, 2006.
- Paulin MG, Hoffman LF, Assad C. Dynamics and the single spike.. IEEE transactions on neural networks, 2004.
- Hoffman LF, Honrubia V. Fiber diameter distributions in the chinchilla's ampullary nerves.. Hearing research, 2002.