Mark S Cohen
Professor-in-Residence, Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California Los Angeles
Professor-in-Residence, Neurology, University of California Los Angeles
Professor-in-Residence, Radiological Sciences, University of California Los Angeles
760 Westwood Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90095
760 Westwood Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Dr. Cohen received his undergraduate training in both engineering at MIT and biology at Stanford. His graduate work at the Rockefeller University concerned hormonally-modulated electrical signaling. He worked in the private sector from 1985 to 1990 developing applications and technology of magnetic resonance imaging, before accepting a faculty appointment at Harvard, where he directed the high-speed MR imaging laboratory, and ultimately contributing to the development of functional MRI performing seminal experiments in this field. Since arriving at UCLA in 1993 he has focused his work on applications and technologies of neuroimaging, and more recently, has been working toward the development of low-cost high performance MRI devices based on novel technologies adopted from low temperature physics.
- Vaughn DA, Maggiora MB, Vaughn KJ, Maggiora CJ, Tavakoli AV, Liang W, Zava D, Cohen MS, Lenartowicz A. Modulation of attention and stress with arousal: The mental and physical effects of riding a motorcycle.. Brain research, 2021.
- Kerr WT, Janio EA, Chau AM, Braesch CT, Le JM, Hori JM, Patel AB, Gallardo NL, Allas CH, Karimi AH, Dubey I, Sreenivasan SS, Bauirjan J, Hwang ES, Davis EC, D'Ambrosio SR, Al Banna M, Mazumder R, Wu T, DeCant ZA, Gibbs MG, Chang E, Zhang X, Cho AY, Beimer NJ, Engel J, Cohen MS, Stern JM. Objective score from initial interview identifies patients with probable dissociative seizures.. Epilepsy & behavior : E&B, 2020.
- Reavis EA, Lee J, Altshuler LL, Cohen MS, Engel SA, Glahn DC, Jimenez AM, Narr KL, Nuechterlein KH, Riedel P, Wynn JK, Green MF. Structural and Functional Connectivity of Visual Cortex in Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder: A Graph-Theoretic Analysis.. Schizophrenia bulletin open, 2020.
- Choupan J, Douglas PK, Gal Y, Cohen MS, Reutens DC, Yang Z. Temporal embedding and spatiotemporal feature selection boost multi-voxel pattern analysis decoding accuracy.. Journal of neuroscience methods, 2020.
- Vaughn DA, Kerr WT, Moody TD, Cheng GK, Morfini F, Zhang A, Leow AD, Strober MA, Cohen MS, Feusner JD. Differentiating weight-restored anorexia nervosa and body dysmorphic disorder using neuroimaging and psychometric markers.. PloS one, 2019.
- Kerr WT, Chau AM, Janio EA, Braesch CT, Le JM, Hori JM, Patel AB, Gallardo NL, Bauirjan J, Allas CH, Karimi AH, Hwang ES, Davis EC, Buchard A, Torres-Barba D, D'Ambrosio S, Al Banna M, Cho AY, Engel J, Cohen MS, Stern JM. Reliability of reported peri-ictal behavior to identify psychogenic nonepileptic seizures.. Seizure, 2019.
- Vaughn DA, Savjani RR, Cohen MS, Eagleman DM. Empathic Neural Responses Predict Group Allegiance.. Frontiers in human neuroscience, 2018.
- Vaughn DA, van Deen WK, Kerr WT, Meyer TR, Bertozzi AL, Hommes DW, Cohen MS. Using insurance claims to predict and improve hospitalizations and biologics use in members with inflammatory bowel diseases.. Journal of biomedical informatics, 2018.
- Kerr WT, Janio EA, Braesch CT, Le JM, Hori JM, Patel AB, Gallardo NL, Bauirjan J, Chau AM, Hwang ES, Davis EC, Buchard A, Torres-Barba D, D'Ambrosio S, Al Banna M, Cho AY, Engel J, Cohen MS, Stern JM. An objective score to identify psychogenic seizures based on age of onset and history.. Epilepsy & behavior : E&B, 2018.
- Reavis EA, Lee J, Wynn JK, Engel SA, Cohen MS, Nuechterlein KH, Glahn DC, Altshuler LL, Green MF. Assessing neural tuning for object perception in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder with multivariate pattern analysis of fMRI data.. NeuroImage. Clinical, 2017.
- Lenartowicz A, Lu S, Rodriguez C, Lau EP, Walshaw PD, McCracken JT, Cohen MS, Loo SK. Alpha desynchronization and fronto-parietal connectivity during spatial working memory encoding deficits in ADHD: A simultaneous EEG-fMRI study.. NeuroImage. Clinical, 2016.
- Cohen MS, Hillyard SA, Galler JR, Neville HJ, Rasenick MM, Reeves AJ, Van Horn JD. Opinion: Advancing neuroscience interactions with Cuba.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2015.
- Kerr WT, Hwang ES, Raman KR, Barritt SE, Patel AB, Le JM, Hori JM, Davis EC, Braesch CT, Janio EA, Lau EP, Cho AY, Anderson A, Silverman DH, Salamon N, Engel J, Stern JM, Cohen MS. Multimodal diagnosis of epilepsy using conditional dependence and multiple imputation.. ... International Workshop on Pattern Recognition in NeuroImaging. International Workshop on Pattern Recognition in Neuroimaging, 2014.
- Lee J, Cohen MS, Engel SA, Glahn D, Nuechterlein KH, Wynn JK, Green MF. Neural substrates of visual masking by object substitution in schizophrenia.. Human brain mapping, 2014.
- Anderson A, Cohen MS. Decreased small-world functional network connectivity and clustering across resting state networks in schizophrenia: an fMRI classification tutorial.. Frontiers in human neuroscience, 2013.
- Lenartowicz A, Simpson GV, Cohen MS. Perspective: causes and functional significance of temporal variations in attention control.. Frontiers in human neuroscience, 2013.
- Kerr WT, Anderson A, Lau EP, Cho AY, Xia H, Bramen J, Douglas PK, Braun ES, Stern JM, Cohen MS. Automated diagnosis of epilepsy using EEG power spectrum.. Epilepsia, 2012.
- Bystritsky A, Korb AS, Douglas PK, Cohen MS, Melega WP, Mulgaonkar AP, DeSalles A, Min BK, Yoo SS. A review of low-intensity focused ultrasound pulsation.. Brain stimulation, 2011.
- Harvey PO, Lee J, Cohen MS, Engel SA, Glahn DC, Nuechterlein KH, Wynn JK, Green MF. Altered dynamic coupling of lateral occipital complex during visual perception in schizophrenia.. NeuroImage, 2010.
- Anderson A, Labus JS, Vianna EP, Mayer EA, Cohen MS. Common component classification: what can we learn from machine learning?. NeuroImage, 2010.
- Lee J, Cohen MS, Engel SA, Glahn D, Nuechterlein KH, Wynn JK, Green MF. Regional brain activity during early visual perception in unaffected siblings of schizophrenia patients.. Biological psychiatry, 2010.
- Green MF, Lee J, Cohen MS, Engel SA, Korb AS, Nuechterlein KH, Wynn JK, Glahn DC. Functional neuroanatomy of visual masking deficits in schizophrenia.. Archives of general psychiatry, 2009.
- Anderson A, Dinov ID, Sherin JE, Quintana J, Yuille AL, Cohen MS. Classification of spatially unaligned fMRI scans.. NeuroImage, 2009.
- Harris S, Sheth SA, Cohen MS. Functional neuroimaging of belief, disbelief, and uncertainty.. Annals of neurology, 2008.
- Brody AL, Mandelkern MA, Olmstead RE, Jou J, Tiongson E, Allen V, Scheibal D, London ED, Monterosso JR, Tiffany ST, Korb A, Gan JJ, Cohen MS. Neural substrates of resisting craving during cigarette cue exposure.. Biological psychiatry, 2007.
- Bhidayasiri R, Bronstein JM, Sinha S, Krahl SE, Ahn S, Behnke EJ, Cohen MS, Frysinger R, Shellock FG. Bilateral neurostimulation systems used for deep brain stimulation: in vitro study of MRI-related heating at 1.5 T and implications for clinical imaging of the brain.. Magnetic resonance imaging, 2005.