Paul E Micevych
Professor, Neurobiology, University of California Los Angeles
Professor, Head and Neck Surgery, University of California Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Research efforts in the Micevych laboratory involve understanding the cellular and molecular events underlying estrogen action on neurons and glial cells. Estrogen has profound effects on cognitive function and neuroprotection, as well as, reproductive functions. Estrogen affects the expression and activity of various neuropeptides and sex steroids. In particular they have focused on regulation mu-opioid and nociceptin receptors in the CNS regulation of sexual behavior. Recent experiments have demonstrated the synthesis of progesterone in the brain, its regulation by estrogen and physiologic functions of neuroprogesterone. RT-PCR and calcium imaging experiments in neurons and astrocytes have been used to elucidate the mechanisms of estrogen rapid signaling in both glial cells and neurons. The Micevych laboratory has demonstrated that estrogen can modulate nociceptive signaling through rapid actions on primary sensory neurons demonstrating a novel mechanism of estrogen modulation of pain. Additionally, the Micevych Laboratory has been studying the neuroprotective action of estrogen in the nigrostriatal dopamine system. Estrogen activates the insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) to ameliorate a hallmark of ParkinsonA?s disease A? the neurodegeneration of dopamine neurons. Significantly, estrogen or IGF-1 is efficacious after either central or peripheral administration. Together these experiments underscore the broad range of estrogen signaling influencing both physiology and pathology.
- Micevych PE, Arnold AP, Schlinger BA. In Memoriam, Roger A. Gorski (1935-2021).. Frontiers in neuroendocrinology, 2021.
- Mohr MA, Esparza LA, Steffen P, Micevych PE, Kauffman AS. Progesterone Receptors in AVPV Kisspeptin Neurons Are Sufficient for Positive Feedback Induction of the LH Surge.. Endocrinology, 2021.
- Johnson CS, Hong W, Micevych PE. Posterodorsal medial amygdala regulation of female social behavior: GABA vs Glutamate projections.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2021.
- Mohr MA, Wong AM, Sukumar G, Dalgard CL, Hong W, Wu TJ, Wu YE, Micevych PE. RNA-sequencing of AVPV and ARH reveals vastly different temporal and transcriptomic responses to estradiol in the female rat hypothalamus.. PloS one, 2021.
- Sinchak K, Mohr MA, Micevych PE. Hypothalamic Astrocyte Development and Physiology for Neuroprogesterone Induction of the Luteinizing Hormone Surge.. Frontiers in endocrinology, 2020.
- Johnson C, Hong W, Micevych P. Optogenetic Activation of β-Endorphin Terminals in the Medial Preoptic Nucleus Regulates Female Sexual Receptivity.. eNeuro, 2020.
- Wong AM, Scott AK, Johnson CS, Mohr MA, Mittelman-Smith M, Micevych PE. ERαΔ4, an ERα splice variant missing exon4, interacts with caveolin-3 and mGluR2/3.. Journal of neuroendocrinology, 2019.
- Chen PB, Hu RK, Wu YE, Pan L, Huang S, Micevych PE, Hong W. Sexually Dimorphic Control of Parenting Behavior by the Medial Amygdala.. Cell, 2019.
- Micevych PE, Sinchak K. Extranuclear signaling by ovarian steroids in the regulation of sexual receptivity.. Hormones and behavior, 2018.
- Micevych PE, Mermelstein PG, Sinchak K. Estradiol Membrane-Initiated Signaling in the Brain Mediates Reproduction.. Trends in neurosciences, 2017.
- Micevych PE, Meisel RL. Integrating Neural Circuits Controlling Female Sexual Behavior.. Frontiers in systems neuroscience, 2017.
- Mittelman-Smith MA, Wong AM, Micevych PE. Estrogen and Progesterone Integration in an in vitro Model of RP3V Kisspeptin Neurons.. Neuroendocrinology, 2017.
- Rudolph LM, Cornil CA, Mittelman-Smith MA, Rainville JR, Remage-Healey L, Sinchak K, Micevych PE. Actions of Steroids: New Neurotransmitters.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2016.
- Micevych PE, Wong AM, Mittelman-Smith MA. Estradiol Membrane-Initiated Signaling and Female Reproduction.. Comprehensive Physiology, 2015.
- Wong AM, Abrams MC, Micevych PE. β-arrestin regulates estradiol membrane-initiated signaling in hypothalamic neurons.. PloS one, 2015.
- Mittelman-Smith MA, Wong AM, Kathiresan AS, Micevych PE. Classical and membrane-initiated estrogen signaling in an in vitro model of anterior hypothalamic kisspeptin neurons.. Endocrinology, 2015.
- Chen C, Kuo J, Wong A, Micevych P. Estradiol modulates translocator protein (TSPO) and steroid acute regulatory protein (StAR) via protein kinase A (PKA) signaling in hypothalamic astrocytes.. Endocrinology, 2014.
- Sinchak K, Dewing P, Ponce L, Gomez L, Christensen A, Berger M, Micevych P. Modulation of the arcuate nucleus-medial preoptic nucleus lordosis regulating circuit: a role for GABAB receptors.. Hormones and behavior, 2013.
- Christensen A, Micevych P. A Novel Membrane Estrogen Receptor Activated by STX Induces Female Sexual Receptivity through an Interaction with mGluR1a.. Neuroendocrinology, 2013.
- Dominguez R, Dewing P, Kuo J, Micevych P. Membrane-initiated estradiol signaling in immortalized hypothalamic N-38 neurons.. Steroids, 2013.
- Micevych P. Membrane-initiated estradiol signaling regulates the central nervous system.. Frontiers in neuroendocrinology, 2012.
- Micevych PE, Kelly MJ. Membrane estrogen receptor regulation of hypothalamic function.. Neuroendocrinology, 2012.
- Micevych P, Christensen A. Membrane-initiated estradiol actions mediate structural plasticity and reproduction.. Frontiers in neuroendocrinology, 2012.
- Christensen A, Micevych P. CAV1 siRNA reduces membrane estrogen receptor-α levels and attenuates sexual receptivity.. Endocrinology, 2012.
- Kuo J, Micevych P. Neurosteroids, trigger of the LH surge.. The Journal of steroid biochemistry and molecular biology, 2012.
- Micevych P, Sinchak K. The Neurosteroid Progesterone Underlies Estrogen Positive Feedback of the LH Surge.. Frontiers in endocrinology, 2011.
- Christensen A, Dewing P, Micevych P. Membrane-initiated estradiol signaling induces spinogenesis required for female sexual receptivity.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2011.
- Micevych PE, Dewing P. Membrane-initiated estradiol signaling regulating sexual receptivity.. Frontiers in endocrinology, 2011.
- Chaban V, Li J, McDonald JS, Rapkin A, Micevych P. Estradiol attenuates the adenosine triphosphate-induced increase of intracellular calcium through group II metabotropic glutamate receptors in rat dorsal root ganglion neurons.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2011.
- Kuo J, Hamid N, Bondar G, Dewing P, Clarkson J, Micevych P. Sex differences in hypothalamic astrocyte response to estradiol stimulation.. Biology of sex differences, 2010.
- Kuo J, Hamid N, Bondar G, Prossnitz ER, Micevych P. Membrane estrogen receptors stimulate intracellular calcium release and progesterone synthesis in hypothalamic astrocytes.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2010.
- Dominguez R, Micevych P. Estradiol rapidly regulates membrane estrogen receptor alpha levels in hypothalamic neurons.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2010.
- Micevych P, Bondar G, Kuo J. Estrogen actions on neuroendocrine glia.. Neuroendocrinology, 2010.
- Bondar G, Kuo J, Hamid N, Micevych P. Estradiol-induced estrogen receptor-alpha trafficking.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2009.
- Quesada A, Micevych P, Handforth A. C-terminal mechano growth factor protects dopamine neurons: a novel peptide that induces heme oxygenase-1.. Experimental neurology, 2009.
- Micevych P, Dominguez R. Membrane estradiol signaling in the brain.. Frontiers in neuroendocrinology, 2009.
- Micevych P, Kuo J, Christensen A. Physiology of membrane oestrogen receptor signalling in reproduction.. Journal of neuroendocrinology, 2009.
- Kuo J, Hariri OR, Bondar G, Ogi J, Micevych P. Membrane estrogen receptor-alpha interacts with metabotropic glutamate receptor type 1a to mobilize intracellular calcium in hypothalamic astrocytes.. Endocrinology, 2008.
- Li J, Micevych P, McDonald J, Rapkin A, Chaban V. Inflammation in the uterus induces phosphorylated extracellular signal-regulated kinase and substance P immunoreactivity in dorsal root ganglia neurons innervating both uterus and colon in rats.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2008.
- Micevych PE, Mermelstein PG. Membrane estrogen receptors acting through metabotropic glutamate receptors: an emerging mechanism of estrogen action in brain.. Molecular neurobiology, 2008.
- Dewing P, Christensen A, Bondar G, Micevych P. Protein kinase C signaling in the hypothalamic arcuate nucleus regulates sexual receptivity in female rats.. Endocrinology, 2008.
- Micevych P, Sinchak K. Estradiol regulation of progesterone synthesis in the brain.. Molecular and cellular endocrinology, 2008.
- Quesada A, Lee BY, Micevych PE. PI3 kinase/Akt activation mediates estrogen and IGF-1 nigral DA neuronal neuroprotection against a unilateral rat model of Parkinson's disease.. Developmental neurobiology, 2008.
- Micevych P, Sinchak K. Synthesis and function of hypothalamic neuroprogesterone in reproduction.. Endocrinology, 2008.
- Quesada A, Micevych P. Estrogen and progesterone modulate [35S]GTPgammaS binding to nociceptin receptors.. Neuroendocrinology, 2008.
- Mermelstein PG, Micevych PE. Nervous system physiology regulated by membrane estrogen receptors.. Reviews in the neurosciences, 2008.
- Dewing P, Boulware MI, Sinchak K, Christensen A, Mermelstein PG, Micevych P. Membrane estrogen receptor-alpha interactions with metabotropic glutamate receptor 1a modulate female sexual receptivity in rats.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2007.
- Micevych P, Soma KK, Sinchak K. Neuroprogesterone: key to estrogen positive feedback?. Brain research reviews, 2007.
- Quesada A, Romeo HE, Micevych P. Distribution and localization patterns of estrogen receptor-beta and insulin-like growth factor-1 receptors in neurons and glial cells of the female rat substantia nigra: localization of ERbeta and IGF-1R in substantia nigra.. The Journal of comparative neurology, 2007.
- Chaban V, Christensen A, Wakamatsu M, McDonald M, Rapkin A, McDonald J, Micevych P. The same dorsal root ganglion neurons innervate uterus and colon in the rat.. Neuroreport, 2007.
- Sinchak K, Dewing P, Cook M, Micevych P. Release of orphanin FQ/nociceptin in the medial preoptic nucleus and ventromedial nucleus of the hypothalamus facilitates lordosis.. Hormones and behavior, 2006.
- Micevych PE, Chaban V, Ogi J, Dewing P, Lu JK, Sinchak K. Estradiol stimulates progesterone synthesis in hypothalamic astrocyte cultures.. Endocrinology, 2006.
- Sinchak K, Romeo HE, Micevych PE. Site-specific estrogen and progestin regulation of orphanin FQ/nociceptin and nociceptin opioid receptor mRNA expression in the female rat limbic hypothalamic system.. The Journal of comparative neurology, 2006.
- Dewing P, Chiang CW, Sinchak K, Sim H, Fernagut PO, Kelly S, Chesselet MF, Micevych PE, Albrecht KH, Harley VR, Vilain E. Direct regulation of adult brain function by the male-specific factor SRY.. Current biology : CB, 2006.
- Quesada A, Micevych P. Estrogen and CCK1 receptor modification of mu-opioid receptor binding in the cortex of female rats.. Brain research, 2006.
- Sinchak K, Shahedi K, Dewing P, Micevych P. Sexual receptivity is reduced in the female mu-opioid receptor knockout mouse.. Neuroreport, 2005.
- Chaban VV, Micevych PE. Estrogen receptor-alpha mediates estradiol attenuation of ATP-induced Ca2+ signaling in mouse dorsal root ganglion neurons.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2005.
- Sinchak K, Mills RH, Eckersell CB, Micevych PE. Medial preoptic area delta-opioid receptors inhibit lordosis.. Behavioural brain research, 2004.
- Chaban VV, Lakhter AJ, Micevych P. A membrane estrogen receptor mediates intracellular calcium release in astrocytes.. Endocrinology, 2004.
- Saldanha CJ, Schlinger BA, Micevych PE, Horvath TL. Presynaptic N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor expression is increased by estrogen in an aromatase-rich area of the songbird hippocampus.. The Journal of comparative neurology, 2004.
- Mills RH, Sohn RK, Micevych PE. Estrogen-induced mu-opioid receptor internalization in the medial preoptic nucleus is mediated via neuropeptide Y-Y1 receptor activation in the arcuate nucleus of female rats.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2004.
- Quesada A, Micevych PE. Estrogen interacts with the IGF-1 system to protect nigrostriatal dopamine and maintain motoric behavior after 6-hydroxdopamine lesions.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2004.
- Sinchak K, Mills RH, Tao L, LaPolt P, Lu JK, Micevych P. Estrogen induces de novo progesterone synthesis in astrocytes.. Developmental neuroscience, 2003.
- Micevych P, Sinchak K, Mills RH, Tao L, LaPolt P, Lu JK. The luteinizing hormone surge is preceded by an estrogen-induced increase of hypothalamic progesterone in ovariectomized and adrenalectomized rats.. Neuroendocrinology, 2003.
- Sinchak K, Micevych P. Visualizing activation of opioid circuits by internalization of G protein-coupled receptors.. Molecular neurobiology, 2003.
- Micevych PE, Rissman EF, Gustafsson JA, Sinchak K. Estrogen receptor-alpha is required for estrogen-induced mu-opioid receptor internalization.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2003.
- Micevych P, Chaban V, Quesada A, Sinchak K. Oestrogen modulates cholecystokinin: opioid interactions in the nervous system.. Pharmacology & toxicology, 2002.
- Mills RH, Romeo HE, Lu JK, Micevych PE. Site-specific decrease of progesterone receptor mRNA expression in the hypothalamus of middle-aged persistently estrus rats.. Brain research, 2002.
- Cristobal R, Popper P, Lopez I, Micevych P, De Vellis J, Honrubia V. In vivo and in vitro localization of brain-derived neurotrophic factor, fibroblast growth factor-2 and their receptors in the bullfrog vestibular end organs.. Brain research. Molecular brain research, 2002.
- Micevych P, Sinchak K. Estrogen and endogenous opioids regulate CCK in reproductive circuits.. Peptides, 2001.