Suraj P Bhat
Professor-in-Residence, Ophthalmology, University of California Los Angeles
310 -825- 9544
Los Angeles, CA 90095
100-Stein Plaza, JSEI
Los Angeles, CA 90095
- Bhat SP, Gangalum RK, Kim D, Mangul S, Kashyap RK, Zhou X, Elashoff D. Transcriptional profiling of single fiber cells in a transgenic paradigm of an inherited childhood cataract reveals absence of molecular heterogeneity.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 2019.
- Bhat SP. The developing ocular lens: A practical paradigm for probing chromatin landscape and gene expression.. Developmental biology, 2019.
- Gangalum RK, Kim D, Kashyap RK, Mangul S, Zhou X, Elashoff D, Bhat SP. Spatial Analysis of Single Fiber Cells of the Developing Ocular Lens Reveals Regulated Heterogeneity of Gene Expression.. iScience, 2018.
- Piatigorsky J, Bassnett S, McAvoy J, Bhat SP. David C. Beebe, 1944-2015, in memoriam.. Experimental eye research, 2017.
- Gangalum RK, Bhat AM, Kohan SA, Bhat SP. Inhibition of the Expression of the Small Heat Shock Protein αB-Crystallin Inhibits Exosome Secretion in Human Retinal Pigment Epithelial Cells in Culture.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 2016.
- Gangalum RK, Jing Z, Bhat AM, Lee J, Nagaoka Y, Deng SX, Jiang M, Bhat SP. Expression of the HSF4 DNA binding domain-EGFP hybrid gene recreates early childhood lamellar cataract in transgenic mice.. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science, 2014.
- Jing Z, Gangalum RK, Bhat AM, Nagaoka Y, Jiang M, Bhat SP. HSF4 mutation p.Arg116His found in age-related cataracts and in normal populations produces childhood lamellar cataract in transgenic mice.. Human mutation, 2014.
- Jing Z, Gangalum RK, Mock DC, Bhat SP. A gene-specific non-enhancer sequence is critical for expression from the promoter of the small heat shock protein gene αB-crystallin.. Human genomics, 2014.
- Jing Z, Gangalum RK, Lee JZ, Mock D, Bhat SP. Cell-type-dependent access of HSF1 and HSF4 to αB-crystallin promoter during heat shock.. Cell stress & chaperones, 2012.
- Gangalum RK, Horwitz J, Kohan SA, Bhat SP. αA-crystallin and αB-crystallin reside in separate subcellular compartments in the developing ocular lens.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 2012.
- Bhat SP. India's science: elitism prevails.. Science (New York, N.Y.), 2012.
- Rao NA, Saraswathy S, Pararajasegaram G, Bhat SP. Small heat shock protein αA-crystallin prevents photoreceptor degeneration in experimental autoimmune uveitis.. PloS one, 2012.
- Yellore VS, Rayner SA, Nguyen CK, Gangalum RK, Jing Z, Bhat SP, Aldave AJ. Analysis of the role of ZEB1 in the pathogenesis of posterior polymorphous corneal dystrophy.. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science, 2012.
- Gangalum RK, Jing Z, Nagaoka Y, Jiang M, Bhat SP, Bhat SP. Purification of BAC DNA for high-efficiency transgenesis.. BioTechniques, 2011.
- Bhat SP, Gangalum RK. Secretion of αB-Crystallin via exosomes: New clues to the function of human retinal pigment epithelium.. Communicative & integrative biology, 2011.
- Gangalum RK, Atanasov IC, Zhou ZH, Bhat SP. AlphaB-crystallin is found in detergent-resistant membrane microdomains and is secreted via exosomes from human retinal pigment epithelial cells.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 2010.
- Gangalum RK, Bhat SP. AlphaB-crystallin: a Golgi-associated membrane protein in the developing ocular lens.. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science, 2009.
- Rao NA, Saraswathy S, Wu GS, Katselis GS, Wawrousek EF, Bhat S. Elevated retina-specific expression of the small heat shock protein, alphaA-crystallin, is associated with photoreceptor protection in experimental uveitis.. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science, 2008.
- Bhat SP. Transparency and non-refractive functions of crystallins--a proposal.. Experimental eye research, 2004.
- Gangalum RK, Schibler MJ, Bhat SP. Small heat shock protein alphaB-crystallin is part of cell cycle-dependent Golgi reorganization.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 2004.
- Somasundaram T, Bhat SP. Developmentally dictated expression of heat shock factors: exclusive expression of HSF4 in the postnatal lens and its specific interaction with alphaB-crystallin heat shock promoter.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 2004.
- Bhat SP, Rayner SA, Chau SC, Ariyasu RG. Pax-6 expression in posthatch chick retina during and recovery from form-deprivation myopia.. Developmental neuroscience, 2004.
- Bhat SP. Crystallins, genes and cataract.. Progress in drug research. Fortschritte der Arzneimittelforschung. Progres des recherches pharmaceutiques, 2003.
- Bhat SP. The ocular lens epithelium.. Bioscience reports, 2001.
- Bhat SP, Rayner SA, Huang CM, Ariyasu RG. Quantitative estimation of RNA transcripts suggests persistence of Pax-6 expression in the postembryonic chick retina.. Developmental neuroscience, 1999.