BRI Summer Undergraduate Research Experience
The UCLA Brain Research Institute (BRI) hosted its first Virtual Undergraduate Summer Research Program. Undergraduate students enrolled in Historically Black Universities and Colleges (HBCU) and in the Maximizing Access to Research Careers (MARC) programs, participated in this 8-week virtual program consisting of career development workshop, research journal clubs, coding classes, writing skills workshop, all while conducting neuroscience research virtually under the mentorship of UCLA investigators. Video: Vidya Saravanapandian Music: from bensound.com
Congratulations to all our 2020 poster fair winners!
First Place: Charles Smith and Harjas Sabharwal
Second Place: Cameron Jackson, Jahel Guadardo, Sonia Okekenwa and Stacy De Florencio
Third Place: Gabriel Rojas-Bowe, Tamia Carter and Tania Lugo
The UCLA Brain Research Institute (BRI) sponsors a summer undergraduate research experience (BRI-SURE) pathway program for students currently participating in the Maximizing Access to Research Careers (MARC) and other honors research programs whose goal is to increase diversity. This program solicits applications from students from universities and colleges across the nation. BRI-SURE Pathway is an 8-week, intensive summer research- training program for exceptional students interested in pursuing research careers in Neuroscience or Physiology. The program is designed to provide a rigorous, in-depth research experience to prepare participants for top-quality Ph.D. and M.D./Ph.D. graduate programs. BRI-SURE participants will:
- conduct independent research with outstanding training program faculty mentors work in a cutting edge science and technology environment
- gain exposure to some of the nation's finest biomedical investigators and an extensive variety of research topics
- receive individualized career counseling and develop career interests
- participate in workshops, seminars and journal clubs
- build a social network with student peers and faculty
- prepare to apply to the best Ph.D. neuroscience and physiology programs.
BRI-SURE Pathway selects participants based on academic achievement, leadership, and commitment to diversity. BRI-SURE Pathway seeks students from either underrepresented or economically disadvantaged backgrounds. The 8-week program includes weekly lectures and workshops that are tailored to our students. We also provide training in scientific writing and poster preparation and presentation. The program is under the administration of the UCLA SPUR (summer programs in undergraduate research) umbrella and participates in many of their campus wide summer activities culminating in a final summer poster day.
- be in good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 3.0;
- Complete UCLA SPUR Online application form
- Academic transcript
- Personal statement (limit to 1000 words) that describes your past, present or future leadership in and commitment to research and diversity in science
- Summary of prior research, if any (limit to 1000 words)
- Two letters of recommendation from science faculty
- Paragraph (500 words or less) summarizing your interest in neuroscience or physiology;
- In a separate file, applicants need to rank in order of preference, the top three research training areas: Neuroendocrinology, Sex Differences, and Reproduction; Neural Repair; Neural Microcircuits; Neurobehavioral Genetics; Molecular and Cellular Neurobiology; or Molecular, Cellular and Integrative Physiology.
Applications are due by February 19th, 2021. For Application instructions go to: https://grad.ucla.edu/admissions/diversity/summer-programs-for-undergraduate-research-spur/how-to-apply/and for more details about SPUR go to: https://grad.ucla.edu/admissions/diversity/summer-programs-for-undergraduate-research-spur
To submit additional application materials or for more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org